master cyl or booster?

Guest miked

Guest miked

What do you think? I haven't driven my '60 in about 4 weeks, because it's been just too hot. So I decided to jump in and start 'er up. I shot a little carb-cleaner in the bowls and it fired. But I depressed the brake pedal and it went all the way to the floor with no resistance at all. I gave a quick look under the car and there is no leakage. I checked the fluid level and it is full. I thought, Hmmmmm. It's too hot to work on this thing. So I'll go inside crack a cold one and see what the forum thinks it is. So let me know so I can order the parts... Thanks!

I beleive it's the master cylinder. If it were the booster the pedal wouldn't go to the floor, if it were a line you'd see some fluid loss.

Sounds like the master cylinder is "bypassing", meaning the cups on the piston have probably deteriorated and the whole deal needs a quality rebuild or a reman cylinder unit.<P>If it was the booster, the pedal would be hard and there would be a hiss and/or an engine miss when the pedal was depressed (due to the vacuum leak in the booster diaphram).<P>If there's a "trail" starting where the cylinder bolts onto the booster and moving toward the bottom of the booster "can", you'll probably find the booster diaphram has a puddle of brake fluid in it from the leaking master cylinder piston cups. Usually, such a trail will precede master cylinder problems.<P>NTX5467

I agree - best to crack a cold one rather than to be sweating over the car in this weather. The master cyl is the likely culprit - I bought a rebuild kit (I have a 60 also) and it worked just fine. If you work fast you won't have to bleed the 4 wheels - only the master cyl.

Guest miked

Thanks! all results, no sweat. I haven't looked for the trail of brake fluid down the booster but I understand that logic. Do you think I have brake fluid in the booster? If so how do you get it out? I'm a fairly experienced guy but I've never been inside a power brake booster. What's in there? Oh yea, anyone got a lead on a master cyl or rebuild kit? Thanks again for all replies!

If you find brake fluid in the booster, just get some strong paper towels and soak it up and then CAREFULLY put the paper towels in a suitable container for appropriate disposal. There should not be that much brake fluid in there anyway as the excess would leak out (with the obvious trail on the front of the booster). Regular brake fluid and paint are not good friends!<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467

Most good parts places should be able to get you a new Master C. Also, Boosters should also be available, but they're pricey.