Was there ever an overdrive for pre WW2 Buicks?

Guffin

Thank you for your replay.

I bought a 1940 56s with a -53 straight 8 engine and the seller said he will put such a rear gear in the trunk. The car is still in Crystal City MO and I will have it sent to Sweden next month. Perhaps a good idea to put this gear on the car. I know how to adjust the gears but I don't know how much work it is to put it in place. I am not familiar with the torque tube rears.

Jan

If he will send you the complete center section from a dynaflow, all you need to do is put the torque tube and drive shaft from your car on the unit, and put it in the car. The axles have the same spline, so it is a bolt in operation. You might ask him to send the rear cover also, as your cover might rub.

PS I have a 1940 56C with the same ( 53 engine and 3.42 axle) and I can cruise all day at 70+

Sounds easy!? I don't know how mych the seller can put in the trunk.

Do you have any photos of your 56c to show? You can see my 56S at

http://www.aaca.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=9904

The three first photos. Is the engine color the correct one for -40 or -53? I have only seen my car on pictures and it looks to be in very good condition. The seller seems to be a nice person.

It is difficulr to wait so long to get the car here and be able to drive it. It is more modern than my other cars and will probably be mych better on long trips.

Jan