COMMON SCAM: If you receive a private message from a new member offering a part, make sure to thoroughly verify it. It’s your responsibility to ensure it’s not a scam. Report any suspicious users immediately. ×

88' LeSabre front Strut replacement

I need to replace the front struts on my 88 LeSabre. I was wondering if Gas_Ryder struts will give my car a good ride? They are 40 bucks a peice from Auto-Zone. I was going to go with KYB struts, but after reading reviews on them, they had bad reliability issues. Will the Gas-Ryder struts give the car a good ride? (Not Necessarily a "sporty" ride). thanks! I appreciate your oppinions. also, if you can name some struts that would be better, please do so smile.gif" border="0.

What you are talking about as "struts" are actually "strut replacement cartridges".<P>Your options:<BR> -- the AC-Delco "Reactek" strut assemblies that are OEM equipment on GM cars. This should put things back like they used to be, maybe even a little firmer but not harsh. Source--GM dealers and probably AC-Delco suppliers, but AC-Delco also makes a full line of other struts that seem to confuse matters. Key words = "Reactek" and "strut assembly"<BR> -- KYB does make a strut assembly for your car (I checked their website a while back for fwd Buick applications). I wasn't aware of any reliability issues with them as they are typically a solid aftermarket brand. Handling and ride would be firmer than stock, though, which can be good. My preference would be KONIs, but they aren't available for some reason. KYB does have a list of retailers and installers you can access on their website who should be able to address your concerns on reliability and warranty issues.<BR> -- The Gabriel items you mention are "replacement strut cartridges" and not "strut assemblies". The regular strut, as you see on your vehicle, is a complete assembly (less the spring and upper mounting items). What most of the aftermarket companies do is sell "the guts" of the strut in the form of a cartridge. To install the cartridge, the strut assembly must first be removed. Then, the upper area is cut to remove the cartridge (the shock absorber part) from the housing. Then, the cartridge tube should be inspected to make sure there's a little oil in the bottom (helps with heat dissipation). The new cartridge is then put into the existing strut housing, a nut cuts threads into the housing to hold the new cartridge in place, then the refurbished strut is reinstalled on the vehicle.<P>When you price strut assemblies at the dealership, the price might seem high compared to the $40.00 you mentioned, but when you figure the extra labor to install the strut cartridges, the total price is not too far off. In either scenario, you'll need to have the front end alignment done as the lower strut attachment is also an alignment adjustment area.<P>For someone that's going to keep their vehicle for ever and 3 days, or whose driving environment wears out the suspension components fast, the cartridge deal would be the cheapest in the long run (if you're going to keep it long enough to need 2 or 3 sets of cartridges), but otherwise, the most expeditious way would be the strut assembly replacement. Plus, there's less room for things to get mucked up by a poor installer that way too.<P>Strut replacement is not the same as with shock absorbers. To do strut replacement, you need to disassemble the front suspension and need an approved strut spring compressor tool affixed to a solid mounting area. Definitely not the same as unbolting a few bolts and swapping shock absorbers as in the older days.<P>Gabriel's a long time and reputable brand, for sure, but I got some of their VST Technology shocks for the front of my '77 Camaro (while I got more money to buy some KONIs) and they were awful. The front end felt like it was floating all the time, especially after the first 1000 miles or so. Whenever the VST stuff was supposed to kick in, it was way too late or it was way too soft. I really liked their old Striders, but their new stuff is very different. <P>Monroe's got some of the similar (what I call "flaky technology") stuff in their newer shocks/struts, but my pref would be the KYBs since I couldn't get any KONIs for that application.<P>It's your money to spend. Just be an informed shopper and know what you're buying before you do it.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467