power window problems

Having problems with power windows on 2 vehicles. They will stop midstream going up or down then if I wait a short time they will work for another couple of seconds. It sometimes takes 3 or 4 trys to get the window up. It is acting as though the motor is getting hot then stopping. It is happening on my 1982 Riviera and more so on my 1988 Blazer full size. Any ideas, Please help. Are the window motors rebuildable or do they have to be replaced,<BR>thanks<BR>mike stapell<BR>stapell@airmail.net<P>1982 Riviera Conv<BR>1970 Electra Conv + 2dr. parts car frown.gif" border="0

I suspect there might be a circuit breaker in that circuit that could be kicking out with excessive electrical draws. The GM window motors are usually pretty reliable on those earlier vehicles, but the linkage could need some new lubricant on the tracks and slides inside the door or might be binding for some reason. The motors have no user-serviceable parts from GM and are sealed.<P>There also might be some plastic retainer clips which keep the glass straight in the run channel as the window goes up and down. If they come apart, it can let the glass cock and would put more strain on the motor. Usually, there's one at the top corner and on the front "short side" corner. You might not know they are there, but they are usually hidden from plain sight.<P>I think I'd pop the door trim panels off and put some fresh lube on the tracks and slides, plus check for the glass retainers I mentioned. That might be all that's needed and is certainly cheaper than new window motors.<P>With the door panels off, if you've got a good electic meter, you might make sure you've got full battery voltage to the motors. If not, you can trace the wiring to the door switches and such until you get the full battery voltage. Might be a high resistance in the simple contact switches too. <P>These are the main things I can think of that might be common between the two vehicles.<P>NTX5467

WARNING: on some GM vehicles (60's-70's that i know of)with power windows the mechanism inside the door is heavily spring loaded. It can cause personal injury if not dealt with in an appropriate manner.

I was able to take apart a bad window motor on my 71 Riviera and it was full of black dust. I think it finally shorted out the motor after 30 years. The other 3 are still fine. You window motors may be shorted or shorting. Either way the door panel needs to come off to lube the track or replace the motor.

I know they changed over the years, but speaking from my '73, the motor can be rebuilt. Its does sound like the motors are overheating. They have a bimetal sping that cuts off power that sits on the bottom part of the brush holder clip. I would do like Tom said and open them up and get all the carbon dust out of there. Then clean up the commutator (sp?) with emory cloth. Just be very careful when removing the brush holder clip. And be very careful when removing/installing the regulator assembly as that is under very high tension.