'74 Electra Limited a good buy?

michel88

I saw a '74 Electra Limited 2 dr hardtop for sale. It is originally from New Mexico (old dealer sticker) and is rust free. It has factory skirts and buick rally wheels. It needs rear fender extensions (nothing left of them). It's showing only 56K. I know these cars have a 455 but are they really low performance because of early emission controls? The price is low ($900). Should I go for it? shocked.gif" border="0

Guest Shaffer

Buy it. The car should have good power. My old 1972 Electra had very good power, despite the controls, but the 74 may be a heavier car if I am correct and maybe a few more controls and a converter. 1975 may have been the 1st year for the converter. I sold my #3 72 4dr Electra this past February for $1,800. It was rust free had excellent interior, except a few dry rot spots on the front seat and only needed a new vinyl top. While the 72s are worth a little more to most people, the 74s are also nice and remember this is a 2-door. If the interior is in good shape and it runs good with no rust, and the actual miles are 56K, then $900 would be a very good price I think. You should have no problem reselling it. <BR>Good luck.

If the car is in good shape i would recommand to buy it. 74 is the last year for true 2 dr hardtops and they were rare. the landau tops with fixed rear windows were more common and in my opinion less desirable. These cars are not very fast but in my opinion they look better than earlier Electras. If you decide to buy , i would suggest that you carefully check the engine for low oil pressure when hot. That is a common problem on 455's. I had a 76 and now have a 75 that I use as a daily driver and i love it. Even with lower performance these cars are funnier to drive and easier to maintain than 60's buicks.

Thanks for the info on the 74 Buick. I was recently temporarly (I hope!) laid off. I had better not buy the car at this time. If anyone is interested in it I will be glad to put them in contact with the owner. I haven't driven it or heard it run yet. It is located in Maryland in Baltimore County. I would like to see someone get it who is a Buick enthusiast.<P>Woody Michel<BR>'40 Buick Roadmaster Coupe<BR>'63 Buick Riviera