COMMON SCAM: If you receive a private message from a new member offering a part, make sure to thoroughly verify it. It’s your responsibility to ensure it’s not a scam. Report any suspicious users immediately. ×

Pertronix dwell angle

I installed a Pertronix system on my 64 Riv last year. Until 3 days ago it ran like a champ. Just for grins, I checked the dwell angle - it's 48 degrees. WTF? Anybody else out there ever put a dwell meter on a Pertronix system? What kind of dwell angle did you get?<P>Thanks.

Guest 53and61

WTF indeed! By my calculation, 48 deg is impossible. 360/8 = 45 deg, so the dwell must be less than 45 deg. Could it be that your dwell meter malfunctions with the Pertronix system?

The original and lsc units give 25deg steady dwell, the II series with it's brainy features starts out at around 20-22 and goes up to 35 or so as the rpm increases..<P>My guess is your analyzer doesn't like the pertronix unit...

I concur, some tachs just don't interface well with electronic ignitions, whether it's correct idle speed readings or other things. On the electronic systems, the dwell is in the control module (as I understand it). Yet, for a V-8, your reported readings do sound a little high . . . does your dwell tach automatically sense 4, 6, or 8 cylinders?<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467