55 special dynaflow or rearend problem

55special

so i'm new to the classic buick world and i need help/ advice.

At about 30-40 mph i hear a loung growling noise comeing from the trans or rear. If i accelerate it goes away and if i let off gas completely it also goes away. Now, at around 55 Mph an extremely loud scream or squeel can be heard and once again if i keep constant pressur on the accelerator it goes away. But if i let off the gas it does NOT go away until i slow down to about 45 MPH. It is so loud thatmy wife can hear it in her car when following me. I'm just looking for ideas or suggestions. I don't really want to swap in a late model trans cuz i like the Koolness of having something different. But if the tranny is shot, does anyone have a good used dynaflow available. I live in S. Wisconsin.

thanx for all your help or advice

chad

I would say that your ring and pinion is out of adjustment and wearing out the gears. You better pull the cover and check the adjustment and see how bad the damage is or you will end up getting towed home. One possible cause is that the seal at the front of the torque tube could be leaking trans oil into the rear end. Do you have to add trans oil and do not see a leak? If you have to replace the rear end gears, which I did, you could use a standard trans gear set. I used a standard trans rear end gear set on my 1950 Roadmaster with dynaflow and it runs fine. I just lost a little mileage because the standard ratio was lower than the dynaflow ratio. This is an everyday driver and I had to get it going again so after a week of looking for the correct gear set, I took what was available.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I had the exact problem with my '51 Special. Either pull the diff. cover, or jack the car up safely, and run it with the wheels off the ground, and listen for the noise.

My problem was my rear end. The inside was like metal soup!

Scott Mich

BCA 6619