Fuel pump ?

55PACKARD

Hey guys do they make a fuel pump block off plate i want to run an electric fuel pump when i install the dual 4bbl intake ...or can i just disconnect the fuel pump and cut the arm off an remove the rod that drives it and place a new gasket and cap off the old fuel lines that are on the pump will that work if they dont have a block off plate????

Thanks..for the reply...But i just want to get rid of the manual pump and run an electric with a regulator and go into a fuel block and run two separate lines to each carb and mount the fuel block on the firewall to make it look alot cleaner and to make it simple to hook up....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...But i just want to get rid of the manual pump and run an electric with a regulator and go into a fuel block and run two separate lines to each carb and mount the fuel block on the firewall to make it look alot cleaner and to make it simple to hook up.... </div></div>

[color:"red"] BUT, if the electric pump konks out (or even a fuse blows and you don't have one handy) then you are SOL. I'd run both like posted above and like I do on my 55 Pat.

Craig: That's what I figured. As long as the rubber seals in the mechanical pump were fine I thought I'd be okay. Actually I use the electric pump to solve some vapor lock type problems I was having. I often turn it off when I'm driving and use to prime or when it gets hot and I get nervous about stalling. Of course if those seals in the old mechanical pump ever fail I'll be pumping a lot of gas in my crankcase. Randy knows about that with his 56.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(snip) Of course if those seals in the old mechanical pump ever fail I'll be pumping a lot of gas in my crankcase. Randy knows about that with his 56. </div></div>

Steve, Yup, there's no perfect solution with these old cars! However, IMO, an electric booster pump is mandatory to solve the vapor lock problem you mentioned, which happens way more more often than a failed mechanical pump diaphram. Didn't somebody post a better material "fix" for the pump diaphram recently?