Barrett-Jackson Auction on Speed Channel

WCraigH

This is a reprise of last year's auction since Jan 20-24, 2005 are this year's dates. This is a "marathon" which will be shown all day.

The first car shown (0605 PST) was a 1955 Caribbean (white/green). It sold for $54,000 after the seller lifted the reserve. This was described as a "driver" (probably a 2.5 on the B-J scale), but looked nice on camera. However, the engine color is [color:"red"] RED! <span style="font-weight: bold">WE KNOW</span> that is correct only for the 1955 320CID (Clipper) engines! What's up with this??? Also, it was described as having a 3-speed manual with OD.

I saw a Caribbean exactly like this in 1999 at the PI swap meet (not the show) in Orange County, CA. At that time, it was "original" (worn out leather & paint) and the owner wanted $24,000 for it. Anyway, here's a link to it:

1955 Caribbean at Jan 2004 Barrett-Jackson Auction

Yes, something looks odd about the wheels & caps. Also, I don't believe the 3sp OD was a "factory option" in 55-56. I know of one '56 Carib HT with OD and the "story" is that it left the factory with TU and was then converted by Earl Anthony (West Coast Distributor) prior to delivery to the first owner.

Hi Jack,

That?s interesting. The one OD car I?m aware of may have been one that was ?in stock? so the distributor swapped it over to meet the customer?s specs.

When I was a kid in the 60?s I spent some time in South America and saw some weird stuff like new Cadillacs and Lincolns with 4 speed trannies. Seems that there weren?t any shops qualified to work on automatics at the time, so most of the export cars were stick shift and a ?four on the floor? was the most practical way to go.

Guest imported_Packards1

I have several sets of the 55-56 Packard accessory wire wheel caps and "those on the Caribbean ain't them".