73-77 cutlass magazine article

CAmag

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: want your car in a magazine?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I work for Collectible Automobile, a deluxe, 4-color magazine that has been in business for 20 years providing automobile collectors with in-depth features of prominent and prolific collectible cars and providing insight into the current cars that have the possibility of becoming collectible automobiles in the future.  

We are currently preparing for an article on the Cutlass, in all of its forms, model years 1973-77.  We run photos of 90-100% factory stock cars (including wheels, wheel covers, glass, etc.) in good condition or better, and we're hoping to get in touch with collectors so that we can send professional photographers out to shoot their cars (if we have photographers in that area--and sometimes even if we don't).  We'd hope to get this done before the bad weather gets even worse, and makes the collectors reluctant to take their cars out of storage. I guess the other option is to find cars in the southern states.

This is the chance for collectors of one of my personal favorite muscle cars to show off their baby to a national readership.

We have photos of 1977 442s and 1974 Supremes, but there is where our list of "haves" ends and the list of "wants" begins.

Please contact me or refer people to my email at bhawk@pubint.com, and please include a snapshot of your car if you have one, as well as any contact information.

Thanks so much for helping me with this, and I look forward to talking to you.

Good lord. That means I need to get my ass in gear and finish this 1974 Hurst!

Tell you what- post this also on realoldspower.com . There's a few 73-77 guys on there, and also try www.hurstolds.com for 1973-75 H/O's. I think the Oldsmobile Cutlass Coupes chapter of the OCA is now defunct, and they were exclusively 73-77- they called it "The Forgotten Five".

I know of a nearly 100% original 1974 Cutlass sedan in Reidsville NC, unless the guy has done things since he bought it. Typical ugly 70s gold and a low option car. PM me and I'll try to help you contact him if you're interested.

Those of you not familiar with <span style="font-style: italic">Collectible Automobile</span>, you're missing out. One of the finest and most accurate collector car magazines in existence.

• 5 months later...

Well- the issue is out, and is typically CA. Well-written with high quality cars and photos, and some commentary from folks who were there. I especially like this quote from Len Casillo, who was Oldsmobile styling head at the time.

"We always had the grille and taillights tagged. You knew you were approaching an Oldsmobile from the front or rear. I think that was the key to our success. We touched a nerve in the American people. We had a clear idea of Oldsmobile's brand character long before it became a corporate idea. We intuitively knew what was Olds." (Len Casillo, quoted in <span style="font-style: italic">Collectible Automobile, August 2005</span> )

<span style="font-weight: bold">[color:"red"]"We intuitively knew what was Olds."</span>. Lord, if General Motors had only had a clue, we might not be without Oldsmobile now. It was painfully obvious that GM Corporate didn't know what was Olds.