66 toro coil wiring

hebechoc

should the + side of the coil have one or two wires connected to it?

[not counting the condensor wire} i only have one which is black with red tracer and is providing 12 volts constantly, at start and at run. the bypass wire from the solenoid is yellow with black tracer which becomes black with yellow tracer and disappears into the wiring harness. can some one tell me the correct way to wire this system and what the wire colors should be? thanks in advance, kerry hebert

Coil (+) should have two wires connected.

The yellow/black trace is the starting voltage wire and feeds from the starter solenoid. It supplies 12 volts to the coil during starting and should be connected to the <span style="font-weight: bold">"R"</span> terminal on the starter solenoid.

The resistance wire should have only 5-7 volts with ignition switch in RUN. This is to keep from burning the points. I've seen these wires black/red, white/red, red/white, or pink, depending on year. The 1966 Chassis Manual wiring diagram shows it pink, but mentions that the resistor section in the harness is white with red/black crosshatch.

If it has constant 12v that sounds like some rewiring has been done. Has this car been converted to electronic ignition? Some aftermarket conversions have to have constant 12v to work properly. I'd recommend use of a Pertronix Ignitor II or a Mallory Unilite conversion, just to get rid of the points.

We had to go into the engine wiring harness on a friend's 66 Starfire to correct some similar issues- except that car was starting and running off the resistor wire, the cranking volts wire had been cut in the harness. Car was difficult to start and would cut off unexpectedly. The car had had a carburetor fire and had a junkyard harness spliced in, and apparently whoever made the repair didn't go to much trouble to make sure it was done properly. Fixing that was really satisfying, especially when everything started working right.

I recommend having a 1966 Chassis Manual with wiring diagram handy before you go into the harness, if you decide to go that far.

thank you for the useful information. to answer some of your questions, no, it is still a points distributor.i kinda like messing around with points. now the fun part today will be pulling the instrument panel to look closer at the wiring. there just isnt much room working under there when you have hands like mine!! and after awhile, all the wires start looking alike.the solenoid is connected correctly, but the 12V bypass wire goes into the harness and disappears into the fire wall. there must be a spot where these wires for the coil meet? some kind of junction block or relay? i dont feel like burning out my points in the middle of a massachsetts snow storm!! thanks again, kerry hebert