Cruise control

soowee

1964 98 with cruise control (may be earlier):

I have no battery voltage at the main unit under the hood. Speedo cables working fine. I suspect the switch in the dash, which is blocked by the A/C venting ductwork.

I need an easy way to remove/test/repair/replace (if necess.) the cruise control switch. Test procedure(s)?

Any ideas?

H. W. Ellerson

I assume you have the 1964 service manual set? If not, the Cruise Control diagnosis and repair is very involved and too deep to go into here in the Forum. PM me if you need it and I'll copy the CC section for you.

Some easy checks- check the 5 amp inline fuse in the green wire under dash (taps off the fuse block upper right side)and the 20 amp circuit fuse feeding the power tap, and check the brake release switch above the pedal.

Some more involved checks-

1) Disconnect the connector at the CC regulator.

2) Ignition switch in ACCESSORY.

3) Turn CC dash switch OFF.

4) Probe regulator connector terminal #1 (red wire) with test light. Test light should light. If not, check for blown fuse, brake release switch adjustment, or defective control switch.

5) Probe terminal #2 (brown wire) and turn CC switch ON. Test light should light. If not, check for defective control switch.

6) Probe terminal #3 (light blue wire) and depress control switch pushbutton. Test light should light with button depressed and go out when it is released. If not, check for defective control switch.

The A/C duct is not really hard to remove. Two screws on the bottom of the center manifold take that out, then you can remove the flex duct and if needed the LH dash vent duct.

Let's hope it's something simple like a blown fuse or misadjusted brake switch. If either the control switch or brake switch is bad, the odds of finding one are astronomical. I have seen only three 1964 Cruise Control cars.