new window rubber

FRANKL

i bought some new windshield and rear window weatherstrip for my 49 standard deluxe. i'm replacing the headliner and it was badly water stained and don't want the new one to end up the same way. the old rubber was cracked and dried out so i got some new ones from steele rubber.

i removed the glass and i have a service manual so i'm pretty clear on how to install it. i was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on sealer and methods to seal the new glass.

thanks

Guest imported_49packard

I donot have any input to your question-but the magic word glass sparked my interest-I have a door glass that is cracked. How difficult is it to replace and can you suggest possible inexpensive sources for door glass? If possible basic steps etc in doing so

thks

David

You might contact a local auto glass place and see what they use. I mean you may have to BS them and say that you have some other work they are going to do in the near future but you need this question answered 1st. Some nice glass people might tell you the exact product they use and where to obtain it.

Guest imported_Speedster

I've not done work on a '49, but have done many side windows. Removing and installing glass in the mounting channel is usually the hardest part of the process. If you can remove the glass in one piece by sliding long screwdrivers between channel and glass, then great. You can use it for a pattern for the new glass, but if Not you will have to make a pattern from 1/4" plywood. (one car, I had to use the window on other side of car to make the plywood pattern).

When Installing the new window in channel, it must fit very tight. So it's best to use a very durable grippy material between channel and glass. I have found that adhesive backed, thick foam type, weatherstrip works good. Since you can stick it on glass, to hold it in place, while tapping it into channel (with rubber mallet), and it can be trimmed easy, with exacto-knife, after glass is in place.

I replaced both door windows with tempered glass and a cracked rear no draft with plate glass very reasonably IMO by a local glass shop. I've also done the installation myself but for the money saved I depend on the glass shop people to do the install into the frame also.