Just Purchased a 1956 Coupe and I need engine parts!!! Help!!!

Gaston Rey

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums.

I just purchased a 1956 Cadillac Coupe 6237 and the engine is missing the cylinder heads.

I believe the car has a 365ci engine form the factory, but some people had told me that the 331, 365 & 390 use the same heads.

Does anyone know where can I find some used or rebuilt heads?

Also, Is the hydra-matic transmision rebuildable? Are there parts still available for them?

Thank you all for you help!!!

I love this forums!!!

Gaston,

I have a 56 Cadillac Series 75. I purchased all of my enigne parts including new pistons, shafts, bearings, etc from Cooper's Vintage, http://www.coopersvintage.com/

Mr. Cooper is very affable and willing to help, and ships very quickly if you ask him to. I have had him send parts right to the shop rebuilding my engine also. Others sources are Caddy Daddy, and Kanter for some parts. Kanter takes 2 weeks to process everything, so if you need it now, they can't always come through but their return policy is very good.

Yes, your engine should be a 365 cu inch and should have a 4bbl carburetor either a Carter or Rochester.

As an aside, I recommend Diamondback Tires for WWW steel belted radials if you need them.

Good luck. Let me know if I can be of help. I also get parts from the car that I upgrade, so let me know if you're missing any trim. Right now I have a spare front hood lip aluminum piece.

Sincerely,

Mark Monaghan

cool.gifjaxops@bellatlantic.net

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Congratulations on acquiring a GREAT car !

According to my Factory Cadillac Master Parts Manual

not even ALL 1956 Cads use the same heads !

There is a production change after certain engine numbers

if you can find your engine # I can tell you if you have an early or late one

engine # will start with either 4X,4XK,5X,5XK,7X,7XK,9X