Please HELP!!! axle or wheel bearing?????

Guest janusjwilde

Guest janusjwilde

PLEASE HELP axle or bearing 1964 buick lesabre

#257195 - 11/26/04 03:29 AM Edit Reply Quote

I have a 1964 buick lesbare 4 door sedan

today when I was driving home from thanksgiving dinner, i heard a grinding noise,kind of like marbles rubbing together, coming from the driver side rear wheel. I also noticed that when I drive the car shakes a bit, but I thought that was the wind.

well when I was on the highway a lady told me to pull over and told me my back wheel was shaking like it was going to come off. I thought the knock off wheel was coming lose. i have those knock off wheels kind of like DAYTONS that are held on by a hub and a spinner.

I drove to a nearby tire store and they jacked up the car. the wheel was on tight. The problem doesnt seem to be the wheel.

well, I thought when we took it off and made sure it was tight, everything was okay, but on my way home another driver stopped me and told me my wheel was shaking. its not the wheel. Is this the wheel bearing or the axle?

it was REALLY scary driving home!

please let me know what you think this is. thanks!

my email address is janusjwilde@aol.com

thanks again

janus

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It may ruin your rear axle case or the axle ...

</div></div>

Given that the wheel is visibly moving inside the wheel well so much that people are seeing it from the distance of other cars in traffic, and it was driven this way for even a small distance, I think it'd be a safe assumption that the axle and housing are at the very least stressed if not damaged and should be replaced as a matter of course. I'd suggest shopping for a used entire rear end for the car rather than trying to rebuild the bad one you have.

Good luck! smile.gif

Guest janusjwilde

the thing is, i thought it was the brakes a while back, and the slight grinding sound I have heard has been going on for a while, but just intensified over the last few days. it sounds HORRIBLE! now.

most likely a fused bearing.

not a big problem. Remove the wheel, and replace the bearing and race.

If the car has over 100k, I would guess that is the issue. Check your rear end fluid.

Guest janusjwilde

a fused bearing would make the wheel wobble liek that? I sure HOPE it isnt the axle becuase to get one here in new york city will cost a million dollars on shipping.