Vacuum hose routing?

I just bought a 1959 Ford Galaxie with 332 (2bbl), manual brakes & cruiseomatic. Does anyone know how the vacuum hoses are routed? There is one port on the carburetor which I assume is for the distributor vacuum advance. But when it's hooked up, the engine runs bad. Why? Also, where does the vacuum hose from the transmission modulator go? There are no open ports on the carb or intake manifold. There is however, a plug not being used on the manifold. The trans bangs badly between gears. Should I find a fitting for this plug and run the modulator hose here? I have a Ford repair manual but cannot find anything about vacuum. Any help appreciated.

CrooznArt

• 3 weeks later...

There may be two ports on the carburetor. The port you want for the vacuum advance is located above the throttle plates. It is called ported vacuum. If any are below the throttle plates, it will be full manifold vacuum.

Now, if when you hook up the ported source and the car runs poorly, it will most likely be a bad vacuum advance cannister (blown diaphram) or possibly binding breaker plates in the distributor allowing the timing not to advance properly.

The 59 should not have a modulator valve (not introduced until 1961 COM). Shift is controlled by throttle linkage.

Kultulz:

Judging by your answer, my engine and trans are not original. The trans. does have a modulator on it. Should I try to find a nippled fitting to fit the intake manifold plug ? (I have manual brakes). Would you have any idea what size hose I should use?

As for the vacuum advance, I have already purchased a rebuilt distributor, but have not installed it yet. There is only one port on the carb, so I would assume this to be for the distributor advance.

Is there an easy way for me to identify what year and size engine I have in this car?

Thanks for your help..

CrooznArt

Let me ask you first...Do you know the differences between a Y-BLOCK, an FE or possibly a 429/460?

On the intake manifold runner, are there any casting I.D. Nos that resemble say C4AE 9424 B or similiar. If the trans has a modulator valve, it will have to have a source of manifold vacuum.

The ported source of vacuum (for dist advance) will be located above the throttle plates.

Kultulz:

I'm pretty sure it's an FE..(Valve cover bolts on sides-not thru top as in small block) as it was on my original 332 when new. When I get a chance I'll check for casting # on intake. So do you think the plug in intake manifold will work with a nipple for the modulator? And the vacuum pipe on carb is indeed above the throttle plate. Thanks for all your help - I'll get back when I get the casting #.

Thanks again,

CrooznArt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So do you think the plug in intake manifold will work with a nipple for the modulator?</div></div>

Yes. That will be you main tap for any vacuum accessory, brakes and/or modulator. You might get lucky and find a preformed line (from fitting to valve) at a donor yard. I am thinking it is 1/4".