STR-8 valve seal question

Jyrki

Has anyone ever tried fitting modern valve seals on a straight-8 ?<BR>I cannot understand how the engine works without any kind of seals. Yes the quides are very tall, but still. <BR>I'd like to hear the experience of all you old guys with stock engines.<BR>Jyrki

u better not risk putting seals in there UNLESS the engine was designed for them. Those stems (in any engine)can gauld if not enuf oil is present. I'd rather burn ALOT OF OIL than to gauld a guide...especialy in an ohv.

I had a 53 Special. No valve seals. at 180,000 miles I rebuilt the engine; pistons and rings rod and main brgs and two new exhaust valves (the end ones naturally). I also put in the umbrella type GM valve seals on the recommendation of my GM Dealership shop foreman. Before the overhaul I was changing my oil every thousand miles and it was usually down a quart at that time. Useing #5 wt oil as a break in oil at ten thousand miles I was just about where I was before I started down a quart at every oil change. When I got rid of the car at 280,000 miles it still used about a quart between changes. The seals didn't seem to make any difference.<BR>Happy Hobbying

Thanks everyone. So it seems that the str-8 doesn't need seals. Strange as it seems, your oil consumption would be within the factory limits of todays cars, NEW. What type and weight of oil are you using?<P>The fact that the valve tips of my 320 had bitten into the rockers, makes me think that the oil supply to the valve is rather minimal on this particular engine. And the oil holes in the rockers were clogged. I think I will machine my intake guides to accept seals, but won't install them unless necessary. The SB Chevy did away with umbrellas and O-rings on the stem. But in that engine, the stamped rocker drains the oil on the valve tip. Not on Buick. Hmmm