Heater Core Question

disp05

Hi all,

I need a heater core for my '62 Wildcat. Do I need to specificly find a full-size '62 Buick heater core, or will a range of years fit it? Also, did Impalas or Catalinas use the same unit? This would just help to open my search a little.

Lastly, is it installed from under the hood, or from inside the car?

Thank you for any information you folks may have.

My gut reaction would be that a heater core, although it might be the same size per se, would be different for a Buick than for other similar GM vehicles due to the way the pipes were placed on the tanks (bends, direction, etc.). Back then, there were few common parts in that area of the vehicle, typically, as each division "did their own things" and built some highly different vehicles.

If possible, it might be best to get yours recored than to try to seek out a replacement part. In some cases, the replacement part might not be exactly of the same core dimensions as what you have. I've seen that happen with late '60s Chevy pickups' heater cores--the replacement part, which everyone has, is smaller than some of the factory production heater cores.

I'm not sure about year interchangeability. Others might have that information or you might need to consult the salvage yard industry's Hollander Interchange Manual.

Make sure they use high quality solder and then keep the coolant changed regularly for maximum life expectancy.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest my3buicks

I have had excellent luck going to my local radiator shop and having him order heater cores - so far any that he has ordered for me have been exact fit. They also show up new on ebay often

Guest Skyking

In 1996 when I was living in Daytona my heater core started leaking in my 62 Invicta. A local radiator shop made me a knew one to fit exactly like the old one. Cost then was $85.00..........