Flopping headlight on shut off.

Guest EDBS0

Just started. When I shut the lights off the righ one shuts and bangs half open for 5 quick times (bang, bang, bang, bang, bang) and then closes.

Nothing in the cigarette lighter. Ideas??? I have an 89 and have the lights kept open with the retract button so they will not close and bang when I shut the lights off.

Guest Buick Mike

Might be the nylon rollers going bad. As an experiment I once replaced the nylon rollers with steel ball bearings, but they were slightly undersized. The result was headlights that would slam shut... hard. Took 'em out and put the proper rollers back in and they closed just as they are supposed to.

Mike

Interesting...

When I turn the manual knob in the open direction the light closes shocked.gif

I am thinking that the bearing at the other end of the rod that is bolted to the light and connected to the bell crank is very loose. It is very wobbly, the other side is tight. I believe it is slack enough to make a complete circle and close and open the light 5 times before it times out in its cycle. Something like a steam train wheel confused.gif

At each end of the arm (light and bellcrank) is a brass ball and socket assembly. The bolt and nut hold the ball in place. The socket or arm pivots around the ball. The motor will run until the amp draw exeeds the max. If the bellcrank is worn out the shaft will spin and spin because the headlight will go down to the close position, the bellcrank can no longer hold the shaft tight, max resistance is never exceeded. Inspect the bellcrank.

Fixed;

Took it all apart and the nut on the end of the motor holding the bellcrank on was completely loosened and only hanging on by a couple of threads. Tightened, reassembled, tested and is again working fine!!! laugh.gifu

Most unusual problem and symptoms crazy.gif