Chevy Suburban door change question

Pontiac59

Okay, this isn't really an antique question, but it could apply to someone restoring a '70's model Suburban or Blazer since the basic body was used from 1973 to 1991. Mine has a tailgate, but I can't open it - not only is it rusty, if I do get the window rolled down and it unlatched, it's going to come off - where the hinges were attached, is rotted all out.

Since this is a potential for getting exhaust gasses into my truck, it should be fixed. Seems to me it would be simpler to put the swing-out style doors on it, than to try to fix the rusted back floorpan edge (short of cutting out the same panel from a solid truck). Then I can just weld in a piece of square tubing on the bottom and the alignment is less crucial as long as it seals up. Plus, I'd think it easier to get stuff in and out of (like parts for other old cars) with the swing out doors.

So what I'd like to know is does anyone know what's involved to change from the tailgate to the swing out "barn doors" on the back? Does this body have the provisions to mount those hinges - or do I need to cut that out of the donor truck?

The original dealer sticker is marked right on it '1989 Suburban - Tailgate' which I thought kind of odd, too. I think I am going to do some of the body work this old ex-school bus needs as practice for restoring nicer stuff - intention is to use this to pull trailer to haul the goodies home with.

I heard one claim they eliminated the provision about 1980 and another tell me they had an '86 with the swing doors. Looks like to get any answers from my truck I have to tear it all apart, and I can't do that since I'm driving it - when that gate comes off, it's not going to go back on. I did order up crash book sheets for it though, perhaps that will provide some answers.