Model A Ignition Woes--Please help me!

Matt Harwood

Hi Guys,

I just posted a long technical question in the AACA Tech Forum (LINK) and was hoping some of you with a better understanding than I of the Model A ignition system could take a look and help me out. I'm at the end of my rope trying to figure out the problem and have tried absolutely everything. I don't know anything about points & condenser ignitions, it seems like black magic or something, especially after this Model A (which has run perfectly for more than 30 years, by the way) just gave up the ghost the other night. I'm out of ideas.

Thanks for your help, as always!

• 3 weeks later...

Matt and all the folks that replied. THANKS. I just bought a 29 "A". I decided to change the points and in so doing, I went to the "modern" top plate with the condenser mounted on top. After installation, I can't start the car. I have done quite a bit to recover, but no luck yet. After reading your post and all the answers, I now have all of the checks that I'm sure will get me up and running. I have a second home in Palm Springs which is about 100 miles from my regular residence and that is where I keep the car. So, I will not get to try out all of the suggestions until the weekend, but I'm sure they will fix me right up. By the way, the car worked before I messed with it, so I understand the frustration. Only in my case, I messed it up, not the gas station. Thanks again from all of you. I am brand new to the forum and if I can't fix it I will be back for more input.

Hawks