30s-50s car starter question

furrycritter

Guest Randy Berger

BillP, I knew Stude had a starter button under the clutch pedal, didn't know they used the accelerator linkage also.

YFAM, Randy Berger

Guest De Soto Frank

Chevrolet had a similar rig around '36 - '37; they called it the "Starter-ator"... the accelerator push rod had a sharp "kink" in it that actuated a linkage which depressed the starter switch on top of the starter motor whenthe accelerator pedal was depressed. When the engine started, a vacuum diaphragm and linkage disengaged the starter link from the accelerator pedal, thus preventing the starter from operating while the engine was running.

I think there must have been a tendency for cars with this system to flood easily...most non-restored or semi-restored Buicks, Chevys, Packards with the gas-pedal starter have been adapted to a dash button...

I think Nash also had a clutch-pedal starter control...

Olds and Pontiac had some sort of funky starter control around '35-'37...

I like my '41 De Soto's foot-starter...the pedal pushes against a lever that first engages the pinion with the flywheel, then as it bottoms-out, closes the starter switch... very reliable.

It's also fun to start the car when bystanders are watching, keeping both hands on the steering wheel at 12 o'clock...they wonder how you did it... laugh.gif

My Packard has a Startix unit on it. It is a box about the size of a pack of cigarettes mounted on the firewall. It switches full battery amps to the starter when you turn the key switch to 'on', and removes them when it senses current flow from the generator.

Thus, you simply turn on the key (gear ought to be in neutral or clutch in) the engine magically rolls over and starts. If it stalls, a brief time delay ensues and it starts again, automatically. Made by Eclipse Machine, Elmira, New York, a future subsidiary of Bendix Corp. Factory option on some cars in the thirties.

Guest De Soto Frank

Bill,

I've read about the Startix; is it troublesome or do they really work?

I noticed they were only used for a few years...

I had never heard of them b4 I got my car. The car is a 65,000 mile unrestored and the unit came on the car from new ('34). It appears to have not been apart or tinkered with (the case is rivetted). It worked when I got the car 5 years ago & still does. I suspected it being at fault for a starting problem but it was 2 bad batteries that faked me out. There is a rebuilding procedure published some years ago that Stude8 was kind enough to fax me. It explained the device, it is quite clever.

Coincidentally, my mother worked for Eclipse as a young woman out of high school making bomb fuses and, by her description, "B-29 engine parts" during WWII.

Bill P: A small world!!

My Dad, Babe Hennigan worked at Eclipse Machine in '32-33 it would be real easy for me to think he had a hand in the manufacture of your starter control. But,alas, he seemed very proud of the fact when he told me years later, that he was on the screw-machine line. Oh!Well

LeRaysville Dude, Jay