1936 Chrysler Airstream Weight

tlieblein

I have purchased a 1936 Airstream from Arizona. Arizona does not require the weight of the car on the title, but Michigan does. Michigan has no reference weights for vehicles that old. They refused to transfer the title without. I have the car in pieces and can't move it to have it weighed. I have looked in all the books I have and can't find an official weight. Does anyone have spec listing the weight of a C7 model? Or maybe a photo copy of another c& title in Michigan. I would like to get the title transferred before the car is rolling again (because I am not sure how long that will be!). If you can help, I would sure appreciate it. thanks, Tom Lieblein

Tom...Welcome to the AACA Forum.

The AACA Library & Research Center retains an enormous amount of research literature accumulated since 1935 - 2004.

Click on Antique Automobile Club of America in the immediate left column. When open, scroll down to L & R Center. There is a self-explanatory form to fill out.

Regards, Peter J.

Guest De Soto Frank

Well, if Mich. doesn't have the records to check against, it should be a moot point now, shouldn't it?

"Standard Catalog of Chrysler: 1914-2000" lists weights for cars...

A 1936 C-7 (six cylinder) coupe lists at 2,962 lbs (lightest C-7); a C-7 Convertible Sedan (4dr) lists at 3,282 lbs (heaviest C-7). All other models fall in between.

Gotta love the beaureaucrats...wonder if they'll want to apply 2004 emissions regs to your 70 year-old Chrysler?

smirk.gif

Yes, stick in a plausible figure and I doubt that anyone will argue. I had a somewhat similar experience with my 1925 Rover. The California DMV required a mileage figure, and even when I had pointed out that the odometer only went up to 9999 and I had no idea of how many times it had been round, they still required a photograph of the actual speedometer showing the odometer reading. And then there was the VIN! Such things had not been invented in 1925. They settled for the vehicle's serial number, but I could have changed that with the greatest of ease if I had for some reason wanted to falsify it.

Ken G, 1925 Rover 16/50 (San Francisco)

• 1 month later...

By now you probably found out the weight for your airstream. If not, get back to me. The weights are different for the 118 and 121 wheelbase, plus of course if it's a coupe, 2 door etc. I have all that info plus original costs and production numbers. Jax

Frank ~ I had a similar, if slightly different, prpblem when I brought my VW Thing to Wyoming. They had NOTHING on the car in their books, so I just made up the answers as we went along. Of course Wyo is probably less bureaucratic than Michigan.

Michigan possibly bases its tag fees on vehicle weight, so he should pick a number he likes. grin.gif

hvs