55-56 Two barrel air cleaner coversion

joe kastellic

Is anyone who has a 55-56 V8 car that uses the carter 2 barrel carb. replaced their oil bath air cleaner to a modern paper cartrige air cleaner? I would like to use a 4-barrel air cleaner open-element filter that are available for many cars.(early chevy corvette -Z 28 style). I just hate the messy oil bath setup. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Joe

Guest imported_Speedster

I have seen many coversions of the 4-barrel cleaner but don't remember seeing any for the round 2-barrel type cleaner. But I think it would be just a matter of finding a filter that would fit, and doing something simular. You may have to stack two filters since they are taller units. I stacked two 10" filters on a '34 Ford Streetrod and it worked great.

i put a edlebrock aircleaner on my 2barrel 52, autozone and most parts stores will have a plastic adapter that will make a 4barrel aircleaner fit a 2barrel carb. on mine tho i had to buy a 4" cleaner at first as my carb does not have the center post for the aircleaner to screw onto. i used the base of the 4" as it was a side clamp then put on the 2barrel --> 4 barrel adapter then the edlebrock aircleaner. looks good, works good and now you can see the engine as my oilbath was the one that went from the drivers side of the engine compartment to the carb on the passenger side blocking the view of the back half of the engine.

tom