Appleton spotlights

Jyrki

Where could I get information on spotlights & other popular accessories of the 1930's to 50's ? Do you know of a dedicated book or web forum? Right now I am interested in the Appleton #112 spotlight that I won at eBay. Unlike most other makes, Appletons don't use a sealed beam light. The reflector of my Appleton 112 was completely oxidised to a matte gray. Buffing the surface, obviously removed the original coating, revealing the base metal which is brass. My question is, is the reflector coating silver or something else? It is certainly not chrome or nickel, but something rather soft. Also, which years was the 112 model produced? I wonder if it's period-correct for a 1946 Buick.

I also got another Appleton spotlight from eBay. It is equivalent to the 112 model - the shapes and dimensions are exactly the same - but there are no markings on the housing - only on the handle. Also, the on/off switch on this one is ivory color, while the 112 switch is black. Judging from the condition of the parts, both spotlights are of same age. Am I looking at a copy, or didn't all Appletons carry a model designation?

Thanks for any input.

First, the reflector is coated with silver.

As for the black vs ivory switch. It may be that Appleton made them both ways to harmonize with the steering wheels of the day. In Buick, at least, the '46 & '47 steering wheels were ivory colored while in '48 they were black.

hvs

HI. Yes they were mfg. in both black & Ivory. The reflector can be re-silvered & be like a new one. Sealed beamed lights didnt come out till 1940 so bulbs in reflector models would be 6 volts. Should cleaning the reflector be necessary use cotton only & wipe from bulb to outer edge, not round & round. If the body on yours (rather large) comes to a peak at the rear it would be the proper one for a 46. Not sure if bulb was special or not but think it was???? Jack

Guest De Soto Frank

I have an Appleton spot that I installed on my '48 Chrysler.

Generally, pre-war cars used 6" spots or fogs; postwar used 5" units.

Since most '46-'48 cars are warmed-over '42s, you could make a reasonable case for using a 6" light on cars through '48.

Reflectors were silver-plated. There is an outfit that will coat reflectors with aluminum, then seal the shole thing in glass, resulting a bright, permanent coating that will not tarnish or polish-through.

If Tod Fitch (Ply-33) is reading, he had his '33 Plymouth headlights redone with this process, and was happy with the result. He would be able to furnish more info about who does this work.

While I'm a purist about most restoration work, I would be inclined to have my reflectors done this way, since it is inevitable that moisture is going to get into a non-sealed-beam lamp fixture, and silver plate is going to need maintenance...

Jack ~ According to the AACA Judging Manual, sealed beam headlights were first used in 1940, but sealed beam bulbs were not used in spotlights and driving lights prior to 1948.

hvs