Exhaust question for 1963 Wildcat or Electra owners

Pat Baysinger

Just returned from the Krause Auto Auction and Car Show in Auburn IN. While I was there I met the Waldron's from Michigan. They advertise exhaust systems in the Bugle. I went ahead and ordered the stainless steel dual exhaust system for my '63 Electra, but I have some questions before he begins working on it.

-First, I hope I'll be happy with his work. Any comments?

-Where should the pipes "correctly" terminate? From the rear of the car, or behind the wheels?

-Were the original pipes camphered, or squared off?

-My parts manual lists two different mufflers for my Electra. Under section 3.701 they are...

4400-4800 (dual) muffler 1355436, and 4400-4800 (dual) Sport Car Exh 1357150. Since my car is a convertible with bucket seats, I'm thinking the sport car muffler would be correct. What's the difference between the two mufflers?

Thanks

Pat

Pat-

I just went and looked at my original 1963 sales literature, and learned the following: for '63, Dual Exhaust was standard on Wildcat, and available on any other model, except Estate Wagon. "Constructed of corrosion resistent (ha!) aluminzed steel."

Please post your continuing experiences on this subject, as I am soon going to be doing the same with my '64 Electra Conv't, and would be very interested to hear what you learn. I have been having the debate with myself about ordering the pre-bent system as you have, versus getting it made locally.

Pat,

I've never bought a system from one of these guys for the simple reason that you can't see it until it's at your house and don't know if it fits correctly until after you've bought it. I've put Midas systems on my 65 Wildcat and 65 Riviera (dual)on both and have never had any problems. I was able to watch them install the systems in their shop and have taken my Wildcat back a few times for them to tweak it a bit, all for free. They aren't cheap but they do know their stuff.

Steve

Hi

I had Waldron make my exhaust system for my 66 Wildcat several years ago(about 7) He made the stainless pipes with an aluminized muffler. No problems since, had to have rear extension replaced by him, he made rear pipe for a resinator, and i didn't want it, replaced quickly with no charge. He also made the rear tailpipe in two sections so it would be easier to install. Get the stainless pipes, a good selling point if you decide to sell in the future.

Jim Schilf

palbuick

Guest rlbleeker

I've got complete systems from both my '64 Riv and '62 Skylark from Waldron's and both fit really nice. I'll use them again. I went with stainless on the Riv and I personally wouldn't do it again. Stainless systems are made from a lighter gauge of material and are not as quiet. Mine has a tinny sound up front, particularly when first started.