Car cover use when trailering car

It has been my observation that when a cover is left on a car towed at highway speeds that the cover usually beats the car and then destroys itself. If it is a heavy cover it may not tear,but it will raise havoc with the finish. I have seen bras installed to keep the stone chips from the front of cars that did much more damage then a stone ever could. Just my $.02

It would depend on the fabric, but I'd reccommend very stronly against using a cover if you'rer using an open trailer. The blowing of the fabric at hurricane speeds for prolonged periods will wear and damage the paint in ways no thunderstorm can match.<P>This, by the way, is also a problem with car "bras". No matter how tight you attach them, the 90+ mph winds (you do drive into the wind on occasion) that they are buffetted by invariably cause the fabric to move and wear at the paint surface. <P>If you're talking about an enclosed trailer (which would be suprising to me for several reasons), I doubt there'd be much difference among car covers. Just be sure that the trailer is as well sealed to wind intrudsion as possible.

If possible, check into that "wrapping stuff" they put on new cars, I think you can buy it from dupont, or companies like that...

Guest 70 Electra

I agree. In addition to buffeting, a "bra" causes damage by allowing dirt and grit to get trapped between the fabric and paint.<P>Regarding the new vehicle coverings: These are adhesive, and therefore they theoretically cause no damage from movement (buffeting). I say theoretically, because most of us have passed by a car transporter on the highway and see some of these plastic coverings flapping wildly in the wind! <P>I had a brand new SUV that had to have the hood repainted due to the severe clear coat damage (during shipment) from a loose piece of "protective" plastic!<P>I would think the most effective protection for a car on an open trailer would be to make sure the front of the trailer has a wind/dirt shield of some sort, to prevent grit, rocks, and debris from being thrown up onto the front of the trailered car. <P>This might involve something that would be counter-productive for aerodynamics and fuel economy, but HEY, it's all about protecting our cherished cars, right?<p>[ 03-19-2002: Message edited by: 70 Electra ]