1938/1939 zephyr value

matty67

I was curious if anyone could provide me with a "real world" value on the 1938, and or 1939 Lincoln zephyr? I realize that condition, as well as body style factor in to this. I am most interested in either the coupe or the two door sedan that is in original style. What would one expect to pay for a "good" (not concours)example?

That's a tough call! Prices seem to vary between the ridiculous and the absurd, depending on condition and body style. The most rare body styles (Convertible sedans and convertible coupes) seem to have the highest value. The "2-door" sedan, actually called a "coupe-sedan" is also a very rare body style. The coupe, while not a REALLY low production model is a very popular style. Much of it's popularity these days seems to be influenced by the totally customized 1938 coupe that sold at Barrett-Jackson recently for $400,000. I've seen real junkers advertised as being a "potential $400,000 car" with a ridiculous asking price. (The REAL $400,000 car probably cost more than that to build).

I would advise you to look at ebay regularly and see how many Lincoln Zephyrs actually meet their reserve. NOT MANY! Another "ball-park" source is the "Old Cars Price Guide" available at most newsstands. Their prices have seemed to be a bit on the low side, so I wouldn't necessarily expect to get one for the price they publish, but it's a start and could possibly be a good bargaining tool.

Check out the "pre-war cars for sale" section on the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club web site (lzoc.org) and/or join the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club. There are usually several cars for sale in their publication as well as numerous parts and services. Ownership of a Lincoln Zephyr is NOT a prerequisite.

Good Luck, don't get in a hurry and don't get suckered in by a "Museum Car" that looks very pretty, but can be a mechanical disaster!

Thank you Phil. As you might be able to tell, I don't currently own a Zephyr, but would like to in the future. I aggree, that to take ones time in "shopping around" for one of these cars would be best. Particularly since I am in no real hurry. Thank you again, -Matt