Question on half-shafts

2seater

I believe GM Ross mentioned a jerking/surging feeling when at low rpm with the torque converter locked up may be caused by loose driveshafts. I have been chasing this problem, but to no avail, and I am asking what is the proper procedure to check them for looseness? I jacked the front end off the ground and grasped both wheels at the same time, and tried turning them in opposite directions against each other and could detect little if any play. What I am wondering about is the fact that they are hanging down, so the joints are not in the normal loaded poosition, so the joints may be in a less worn location? Is there a way to raise the wheel end to the normal position without damaging anything? The lower arm looks to be relatively light metal which I was unsure of jacking on. Pushing and pulling on the shafts sideways only showed some movement at the right inner joint. Any guidance appreciated. The manual is less than enlightening.

Guest Greg Ross

Hal,

My most recent experience was with an inner/ Tri-pot problem. Felt like some of the time an unbalanced wheel/ wobble. The Tri-pot is made up of the big end socket that the boot bands on to and the inner three tangs. There are needle bearings on each of the three ears/ tangs and I guess with wear just where they happen to bear when the load comes on them can vary the alignment of the 1/2 shaft.

Mine are complicated because of the Getrag Tranny and apparently crossed up PNs'

I'd suggest jacking up the front end using a floor jack under the Sub-frame. Blow the front wheels off and wedge the rear wheels so the car doesn't roll. Set some softwood blocking under the lower A-Arms and lower the floor jack to transfer some weight to the A-Arms. Now you can check the hubs for play.