Engine Light stays on... but she runs like a champ

TruBlu90

Advice please, from anyone: Recently replaced the ECM on my '90 Reatta blue baby, and it took care of all my previous problems... Wow, it drives great! But the Engine light stays on constantly...(Black tape over the light, has been suggested .. LOL). Seriously, does it hurt anything to Not Worry?...since it's running smooth as silk?

Will disconnecting Main Ground, at battery "reset" the computer...(as has been suggested?).... and will THAT do anything? Any other thoughts, anybody? Thanks.

Get a competent technician--not an auto supply store!--to pull the codes and see why the light is on. "Running great" does not mean that a minor issue (i.e., loose gas cap on the later OBD II vehicles) is turning on the light. It nees to be out. Black tape is NOT an option (and might not send the correct signals to anyone that might see the car about the vehicle's maintenance).

Unhooking the battery for a certain period of time will make the computer "lose it's trouble code memory", but that does not mean that what set the code initially will not cause it to be set again. Seems like there's also a "50 start" criteria in the mix too. Unhooking the battery also means resetting all of the radio presets and similar things--not to mention setting the "Theftlock" feature that "locks" the radio until it's "unlocked" with an appropriate code, so the radio doesn't "think" it's been stolen--if the radio has that feature.

Getting the codes diagnosed and dealt with is the best option. There's a reason they happen. Plus, they most probably will need to be dealt with prior to getting your state's vehicle inspection too.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467