Transmission Coolers

bernardi

Can someone suggest the proper size transmission cooler for the '55 Packard? The radiator/oil cooler will be bypassed so that the only cooling will be from the add on cooler. Is an electric fan mandatory with the add ons? Summit Racing has several models, but I have no criteria for selecting the proper one.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

The one I fitted on my 55 Pat I bought from AutoZone. It's just a standard, "big car" cooler and it seems to do the job. Probably the bigger the better (within reason). No fan is required, because you mount it vertically in front of the radiator.

I'd recommend replacing the now-defunct tranny cooler with a piece of hose. See my website for recommendations, but "flex" hose will also work.

Craig -

I don't understand "replace the now defunct tranny-cooler with a piece of hose". The cooler is being replaced with an after-market cooler. Do you mean to replace the lines from the T-U to the cooler with hose rather than tube?

The only reference I found on your web site regarded using a finned tube cooler. Eventually I want to put air conditioning on, too. Things may get a bit crowded in front of the radiator.

Ditto to what Brian and Craig suggested. If you are going to mount the cooler anywhere other than in front of the radiator, I?d suggest going with the largest one that will fit in your mounting location. RV suppliers have large HD units that are usually rated by GVW (gross vehicle weight) as used on motorhomes. I can?t see any downside to ?supersizing? in this case, especially if it is mounted out of the airstream.

Let us know how it works out.

Cheers,

John

My thanks to all for all the information. At times I can be pretty dense, so it is very helpful to get the additional input. Summit Racing has several units for 15,000 lbs gvw and up. Since the 400 is about 1/3 of that, I should think that would be sufficient. About 100 square inches of frontal area 1 1/2 inches thick is the first one shown for 15,000 lbs gvw. Even if it uses round rather than flat tubes (the catalog doesn't specify which it is), it sounds big enough to do the job. When the A/C is installed, the A/C condensor will have an electric fan. If the two are stacked one behind the other, a separate fan switch would permit cooling the T-W as required. It's time to "get out and get under" although with fall approaching it may be months before the A/C is added.

i put a trans cooler in my 52, was fairly straight forward. i cut the trans lines at the transmission and capped them so it still looks stock. i ran the new lines inside the frame rail so they are out of view and put the trans cooler infront of the radiator where it is hidden "unless your really really looking for it" by the grill and hood latch. the only thing i had to do was drill 2 3/4" holes just infront of the radiator in the pan that goes infront of the radiator behind the grill "air dam?" and coated the edges with silicone to keep them from cutting the line from vibration "had to take the grill off for this btw." the one downfall i can see from a stock cooler is that your transmission will never been cooler then your radiator water and in reality will probably be 50-150F hotter depending on traffic.