Engine compartment detailing $$$

our51super

Hi all,<BR>I was curious to get some feedback as to the following:<P>How much would you pay to have your engine compartment detailed? Including: cleaning & painting the firewall, engine & accessories, wheel wells, as well as having it all re-sealed as required.<P>Just curious.<BR>Thanks,

Howdy,<BR>A TOP NOTCH job for all the work you've described is VERY time consuming and labor intensive! I speak from experience, having COMPLETELY detailed two engine compartments myself. Many "pros" get $1500 for their talents. I personally would not do another for less than $1000. When it's done it looks like it just rolled off the line (actually better)!!<BR>Sounds like a small fortune?? Do one yourself and you'll quickly change your opinion.<BR>Good luck,<BR>Bob Leets rolleyes.gif" border="0

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

When I was doing my Buick's engine compartment I asked a top notch restoration show how much they would charge.<P>Their response to me was $3500 with the engine in, $10,000 to pull the engine.<P>Now I know that's way out of the ballpark.<P>But I do know I would have to check my log sheets, (yes I keep track of it) But I think I spent somewhere between 100-150 hours on mine.<P>That was pulling the engine and trans, and then sanding donw the firewall, fender aprons, and front chassis and cross member.<P>Maybe 50-75 hours were the engine & engine compartment alone.<P>Some of those hours were for the grill chrome and bumper and frame.<P>Multiply that by various shop rates, $50-$75 per hour and you can see how it adds up.<P>In order to do it right, I'm sure you know, you have to dissassemble a lot, and then take it all down to bare metal.<P>Otherwise it comes out either looking like crap, or if not right away, it will discolor or peel later.<P>Scott

Thanks for your input. The reason I asked is because I have done our '51 (in the last two months) and I have done the same to a '57 Cadillac we had. They both came out as if a body shop had done it (not bragging, but I volunteer on Friday's at a local body shop and see what/how they do it). I am also completing a automotive refinishing certificate at night at a local college. So I guess I have always wanted to start my own business and I thought this may be a starting point. Thanks again.