51 ROADMASTER ENGINE SWAP

need some advice on how to go about installing a 455 engine and trans from a '76 225 into my old 51 roadmaster. should i subframe? what about rear suspension/differential? can someone suggest a good donor model? this old car isn't worth restoring but i would like to drive it if i could get a reliable engine and driveline installed. thanks for any help

Subframing would be your easiest way out, overall- plus you get the benefit of modern suspension. Guy here has a full custom 52 Ford pickup that is Buford powered sitting in a stubframe from a GM X-body (Nova etc). You'll have to update rear end and driveshaft too, as long as you're into it that far. I think this would make an awesome restified street cruiser- classic styling and modern underpinnings, without resorting to the overdone SBC/turbo 350 that are a dime a dozen at any rod show.<P>I sympathise about wanting a reliable drivetrain. I have a 64 Olds Starfire whose SlimJim trans and 4GC Rottenchester carb have beat me up till I'm tired of them. The thought crosses me little brain to stick a 455/turbo 400 in that one for fun, and find another nice one already done to enjoy as a collector car.