355 wildcat intake

Guest trevor ward

Guest trevor ward

well boys...,<BR> my'64 is almost done, body and paint look<BR> fantastic! interior looks new, great <BR> chrome, just the trunk to trim out, and <BR> a bit of engine detailing ready for the <BR> coming seasons shows!!!<BR> Now to the question, my intake manifold<BR> is coming off shortly to deal with an oil<BR> leak, and i am going to replace with <BR> felpro gaskets. it has got the 4bbl and<BR> i am just finding out wether any body has<BR> done this particular task and can offer<BR> any tips/pointers/advice for me??<BR> Also, i have yet to get the gasket kit,<BR> so can any body suggest a reputable <BR> source for them??? There are many <BR> "experts" in the u.k. who claim they<BR> know it all but it will come as no <BR> surprise to find out that they don't! so<BR> i'll probably order them direct! <P> THANKS A LOT.........<P> '64 LE SABRE....SOOOOO CLOSE NOW cool.gif" border="0

Just in case your "experts" don't get it right, check on a couple of things. The 64 300 with aluminum heads and manifold use different intake gaskets than 65-67 cast iron ones. So you need to make sure you get the correct ones. Many years ago there were 2 types of gaskets, metal or composition. I am not sure what are available today, but I liked the composition ones better. Obviously, you take what you can get today. I prefer to coat the gaskets with either copper coat or permantex Hi-tack. The end rubber seals should come in the gasket kit and it would be a good idea to seal them with the above and to use some RTV (silicone sealer) in the 4 corners to prevent leaks. Lastly, it would not hurt to coat the intake bolts with anti-seize as they go into aluminum heads.<BR>This is just my preference and I am sure others have things that work as well.<BR>Good Luck,<BR>Mark

Guest trevor ward

THANKS GUYS.......<P> i have ordered a top end gasket kit<BR> from one of the better suppliers in the<BR> u.k. and we live in hope.!! It is felpro, <BR> so it should be o.k. tongue.gif" border="0 and he swears it<BR> will have the one year only '64 stuff grin.gif" border="0 <BR> we shall see. eh?<BR> <BR> TREVOR.............<P> '64 LE SABRE....VIRTUALLY DONE.... grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

Wardy, whenever I change an intake gasket I use Permatex High tack non hardening sealer on the gasket and I toss the end seals for a nice healthy bead of high temp silicone automotive sealant. Dont forget to retorque even if the gasket says non retorquing.<P>My 2 cents, works for me.