Beginning Restoration

clockmaker

Hello all...I am new to the site and new to the world of classics and restoration. I recently acquired a 1948 Dodge B-1-B pickup and am getting ready to start the restoration. Can any of you with more experience share some insight with me as to what would be the best way to begin? What should I start with first or maybe pre-start preparations I should take? I would appreciate any information or suggestions anyone would care to share with me. Thanks in advance for your help. John Blackwell Sand Springs, Oklahoma

Guest BillP

Hello and welcome to old trucks. That will be a fun project. Take your time, it might take 2 or 3 years part time to restore it. Save your money, it might take twice what you originally estimated to do it right.

Get some related publications. The factory shop manual, parts book and sales literature plus any other brochures you can find are helpful. I guess ebay is the place to look for that stuff. "Dodge Pickups, History & Restoration Guide 1918-1971" is a good reference and has lots of good pictures. It's published by Motorbooks International.

Be very methodical in disassembling the truck, have a good workspace with a place to store parts you've taken off while you're working on other parts. Label everything and take lots of photographs, digital or film doesn't matter as long as you have a record of how it looked as you took it apart. Store the little parts in boxes/bins/jars clearly labeled and covered so it won't be a big drama to put it back together.

I assume you're totally disassembling the truck. Assume the running gear (springs, shackles, steering gear, brakes, kingpins & bushings, etc.,) need attention so take all that off and repair; then clean up, straighten and paint the frame and reassemble to get a rolling chassis. Rebuild engine, gearbox, clutch, driveshaft, radiator, fuel system, chassis wiring, etc. Do the body work and paint, install. Do the interior, glass, instruments, other details. Breaking things down into subsystems like this gives you a periodic sense of accomplishment. Get help when needed, ask lots of questions, work clean and safe.

That's real rough and may change in some ways but generally OK. Good luck, everybody here loves a progress report with pictures!