COMMON SCAM: If you receive a private message from a new member offering a part, make sure to thoroughly verify it. It’s your responsibility to ensure it’s not a scam. Report any suspicious users immediately. ×

WANTED 401 Heat Riser Valve

1965 Wildcat

Wildcat,

I needed one a few months ago for my 65 Electra and found an NOS part on Ebay.

It may take a while but keep watching. You never know. I tried to find a new

one at local parts houses as well as on the net and didn't have any luck.

Do you happen to know the part number and if it takes a gasket or not? There is one for sale on e-bay now but it is for a 65 Riv and the flapper valve looks different then mine and I am not sure if it will work? Where do you buy your parts? Thanks, Bill

Bill,

Attached is a photo of the valve, gasket and box it came in. The auction description said it was for 1964 through 1967. I can?t find the number in my parts book but that?s not unusual. I have eye-balled it next to the one on the car but haven?t installed it yet so won?t know whether it?s the right one until I take the old one off. I can?t imagine it would be any different on a Riv but who knows.

As for your question about where do I get my parts? I get them from a variety of places.

I deal with a regional parts house here in KC called O?Reilly Auto Parts. They can get a lot of things that you wouldn?t imagine they could. I buy a few things off ebay but mostly trim or non-mechanical parts when I can find them. A few things from some of the Buick parts vendors in the Bugle, both new and used. If you live in a fairly large metro area you should always try your local, larger parts houses. You?d be surprised just how far back in years they can get something for your old car. You just need to find a parts person that is patient and willing to take the time to look up the part in a book instead of the computer screen. Good luck.

As for the other person asking when do you know you need one. I'd say if yours is frozen and rusty or its missing the tension spring and/or weight its time for a new one.

Steve

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that information and picture you sent me. Unfortunately I wasn't the high bidder on e-bay for the Riv heat riser. Is there any companies that sell patch panels and interior parts for our cars? I do not belong to the Buick Club because I belong to three national clubs since 1968 and two local clubs pertaining to Model A Fords. This 65 Wildcat is sort of a new car for me. Again thanks for your info, maybe I will join the Buick Club. Is there a lot of vendors and parts for sale in the monthly? magazine?

I'm not aware of anyone making repro patch panels for the outside of 65 Buicks at all. There are some companies that make floorpan patch panels though. There are vendors and lots of contacts you can make if you join the Buick club. I suggest you do that if you are restoring a car that needs extensive work. My opinion is that is the only way to learn about your car and where to find parts. On the interior parts depending on what you need you may have to visit a junkyard or buy a parts car. Just depends on what your needs are.

Steve