56 rear gear ratios

I have a 56 special 322 2blb carb, deul exhaust. In my last post concerning swapping intakes and carbs to gain some performance it was suggested I change the rear gear. I have built several first gen camaros which I am a great deal more familiar.<BR> Did buick have several different ratios to choose from? What was most common in a base model special?? Where is the ratio code stamped and who can decipher it???Where these car realy able to get out of their own way????URRGGG so many questions,such a slow typist......................Dave...

Ratios for 56 series 40<BR>1956 - 40 conv trans. 3.90<BR>1956 - 40 Auto trans 3.20<BR>1956 - 50/60/70 Auto trans 3.36.<BR>Now if you had 1955, ther are a lot more ratios to choose from up a 4.45.<BR>On the ring gear the should be a code Number<BR>39-10 is a 3.90<BR>37.11 is a 3.36<BR>Dividing one into the other should give you a<BR>rato.<BR>Hope this helps.<P>Jm Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

yes that is great info...thankyou very much. I think I will search out a 4blb intake. A 3.20 rear gear sounds like it will be fine. I will double check the stamping while Iam replacing the leaking seals.