New to Buicks, many Q:

Guest Skyking

Guest Skyking

Welcome to the Buick Club and to the forum 61Lesabre. It sounds like you got a nice original.....You can't really call it a muscle or classic car. I suppose an antique would be the right term. I always associated a classic to early Packards, Duesenbergs, or Cadillacs. A muscle car would be late 60's, early 70's Mopar, Chevelles, AMXs, etc. with big blocks.....Being a nice original like yours is hard to find these days. Most have been molested......

I guess I'll call it an antique. I was always confused by the term. Being from salt and snow country, if they are 5 years old and still in good shape... Thanks for the reply!!!

I would call it an original classic. I would say that technically cars that are 25 years old and older fall into the classic category. Exceptions to this usually have to do with personal taste (i.e. I would call a '68 Toyota Starlet a piece of junk no matter how old and rare.)<P>I consider Antiques Pre-WWII cars that don't get driven.

Thanks for the reply: Now I get confused. Are there any age requirements that are universally recognized that qualify a car as classic or antique? Or is it a matter of literary license?

Congratulations on your purchase! I love the '61 LeSabres. My parents' first Buick was their new '61 LeSabre 4-door hardtop purchased on Oct. 7, 1960. This beautiful car was the first '61 Buick delivered in my home town. Ours was finished in "Desert Fawn". <P>Can you tell us more about your car, such as color, options, mileage, history, etc.?

My wife and I picked up a 61 LeSabre 4 dr sedan last fall. The car is all original except for brake shooes tires and front shocks. It has a long, sound history and immaculate documentation. We are planning on cruising this summer. A new membership to BCA got me to this forum. Now the big Q: What class of car do I own? ie: Muscle, antique, classic... I would like to go the club route locally, but don't want to start out on the wrong foot by trying to register in the wrong club class.<p>[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: 61lesabre ]

The term Classic is widely misused in the old car field. A Classic car ,as recognized by the CCCA (Classic Car Club of America) is a car of significant styling and design from the years 1928 to 1948. The newest recognized Classics are the 1948 Caddilac Fleetwood and the 1948 Lincoln Continental. The only Buicks recognized as Classics are the 90 series from 1931 to 1941. There are also some custom bodied Buicks by Brunn and Brewster that are recognized. You have a nice original car that will fall in the <BR>antique category

Thanks to "The Old Guy": I feel pretty good about your explanation. Now for Centurion: Our 61 LeSabre was born in Pennsylvania and the original owner was a Doctor that passed away shortly after he purchased the car. It went to his daughter, who in turn sold it to a Model T collector in Western NY State. It was driven to cruises and shown locally by this collector until age got the best of him and he started selling off his rolling stock. The original mileage stands at 23,500. We have the original spare tire, never on the car. All of the original owners manuals and accesories guides. The original warrenty with all coupons intact. She sports a 364 wildcat and 2 spd turbine drive. Original hubcaps and windseild washer accesory bottle and bracket. No power accesories, a pretty straight forward car. There is a shallow rolling dent in the back bumper that is virtually un-noticeable and will be replaced when the right part comes along. She has never seen salt and is garaged 365 days a year since she was born. The carpet and upholstery are immaculate and she has seen regular service every 4-5 months for oil ect. Click on my profile for a nice picture of her.

We thank you very much!!! We are still detailing under the hood. What you see is what we bought. She has no fluid leaks and the engine is spotless. The only under hood crud is a little undercoating. The valve covers are faded and we want to paint them. This year is already booked solid. Our daughter graduates high school this spring and I have a little league team to coach. We will just cruse this year and make heavy duty plans for 2003. Thanks to you and everyone for making us feel at home in this forum.