Timing Chain

Guest Jim Piro

Guest Jim Piro

The FSM tells about four bolts on the oil pan.

1.Can this be done without having to change the oil pan gasket?

2. The fsm also mentions an oil seal on the timing chain cover. Does this seal need to be replaced?

Thanks,

Jim,

I cannot answer your questions at this time but if you are going to take the front of your engine apart put in a new cam sensor magnet and holder at the same time. The magnet is held into the cam gear by a plastic holder that goes through a hole in the gear. The magnets do fall out so this would be a good time to spend an extra $ 8 and have a new one installed.

1/2 hour later but still before church----

I went out and looked at one of my junk engines and I see you will not have to replace the pan gasket. There are four bolts but the timing cover will come off leaving that portion of the pan gasket in place. If it does stick to the timing cover and tear you can just use some form-a-gasket to seal the tears in the gasket. I guess I would use a litte form-a-gasket anyway when putting it back together to get a good seal anyway on the used pan gasket.

If your oil seal on the end of the crank shaft is not leaking now you shouldn't have to replace it but for a couple of dollars it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Guest spongebob

you will have to replace the gasket...when the timming cover goes back on with the pan in place, it will pull the gasket back as the cover goes on..(been there done that), and youll have a oil leak..the gaskets have been redesigned, and are better..spend some of that money you have and get new ones.. wink.gif