Packard Parts Unlimited

Guest 48DLX

Guest imported_48DLX

Hi all, years ago in the mid 70's there was a Packard parts place called Packard Parts Unlimited in Mass. Does anyone remember the man? What happened to him and his parts? I bought some fender skirts for a 22nd series Custom Eight sedan from him, just wondering if anyone remembers him, I can't recall his name. Thanks, Dave

Dave,

His name is Roland Crawford and he is now deceased. I don't know what became of his inventory. I traded him a huge lot of parts from the defunct Baltimore Packard store for parts that I needed back in the sixties. Also, I bought my '47 Custom Clipper through him. I saw it when I delivered the parts to him; but procrastinated about buying it. Several months later I wrote him and told him that I would like to have the car. In the meantime he had sold it to Peverall Peake, a collector who lived in Vermont. But he said that Peake didn't keep cars very long. Sure enough a few months later the car came up for sale again and I bought it. I traveled up to Massachusetts and drove the car home to Maryland. Used it for several years for daily transportation. Currently I am restoring it. Thanks for the memory!

jnp

Guest Clay2252

Good Morning, Folks_

Is there anyone like this still out there who might be a valuable source of NOS parts? I have been stung a couple of times ordering parts: one order didn't get me anything but a canceled check, the other got me a part that won't work.

I'd dearly love to find a good source of Packard parts.

Clay

Clay, what model Packard are you working on? You didn't mention who you had the bad experience with but someone like Kanter or Max Merritt gives good service and should take care of any problems you have. Although there is no guarantee you can check both Packard clubs advertisers that should be reputable. http://www.packardclub.org/

Someone here could probably help more if we know more about what you are looking for.

Guest Clay2252

Hi JT

I have a '49 Custom 8 Sedan, has a bit more than 79k miles on it. I'm the fortunate second owner.

The worst parts buying experience was from an ad in Hemmings, but they (Hemmings) were extremely helpful in my efforts to recover the money. The second bad experience was with a very reputable supplier, and he tried to fix the problem, but unsuccessfully. I'd be happy to explain further in a private exchange if you are interested. My eMail address is clayandjudy@cs.com.

As an aside, I have noticed that most of the posts on this forum are either pre-war cars, or cars of the '55 and later vintage. I guess the cars like mine aren't as popular?

I check on the Packard Club forum pretty regularly, and it is pretty good; notice some of the same names there as on this forum.

Sorry for rambling, to get on with it: I am going to overhaul the engine and trans/overdrive, rebuild the fuel and water pumps, replace brake hydraulic parts, and whatever else I find that looks bad when I get into it. I know about the major suppliers, bought a muffler and tailpipe from Kanter. I'd really like to know of some other sources too.

Clay

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(snip) I know about the major suppliers, bought a muffler and tailpipe from Kanter. I'd really like to know of some other sources too.</div></div>

There's a guy in the midwest who publishes a "Packard Sources" compendium, organized by category and alphabetical. I loaned my copy to a friend and never got it back, but I believe it's $5-10. Maybe someone on the forum has his name and address. It's definitely worth having because there's a couple of hundred vendors listed.

Craig's right, the Jim Hill list is available for $5. I think this is current info, The Packard Source List, 1419 College Drive, Emporia, KS 66801

It's also avaiable throught the Packard Club.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_Packards1

The man's name indeed was Roland Crawford and I bought a few items from him long ago. After his death the parts went to a man who was going to sell them in his retirement. In any case I believe he passed away and Max Merritt bought the whole lot. I think this is an accurate account of what became of the parts inventory. Joel Ray

In restoring my '47 I have used Kanter, Bill Hirsh and Max Merrit, plus I haunt E-Bay everyday and have bought from several people and have not had a bad experience yet. There is a company called Old Time Parts in Duluth Minnesots which sells on E-Bay but also has a website and they are a good source for brake cylinder kits and other generic type parts. The PAC website has an online list of vendors but you probably know that. You are right about this forum being mostly owners of the V-8's but many are very knowledgeable about our older cars and are very helpful. I often also post on the PAC site or the CCCA or AACA site here to get answers to problems with good results. It's great to be a Packard owner since you meet so many fine people.