radio conversion???

i am contemplating haveing my tube radio converted to fm stereo. anyone have any thoughts on this or have had theirs done. would also like to know who does them.<BR>thanks<BR>ed<BR>58 buick century<BR>60 stude wagon

I've read on other sites that there are some radio converters who advertise in Hemmings. Apparently it is now fairly easy to do and becoming quite common.

Ed,<P>It is a very common conversion, and one that can be undectable if the external appearance of the radio is unchanged. I know of at least one guy in Pittsburgh who does it as a hobby/business simply by word of mouth.<P>I never did ti for 2 reasons. One is that I'd have to mount the speakers in such a way that they'd be either obvious or (under the seat) difficult to hear well. I do have the rear speaker option in my '60, so I could set the stereo up front to back, but that'd be equally unsatisfying.<P>The main reason I didn't do it, though, is because I'd prefer to keep the experience of riding in my antique a unique experience. I think it's more fun to wait for the tubes to warm up and try to find someone who's on AM radio for something besides traffic reports or Jesus. I suppose it's the same reason that some people think it's more fun to sleep in a tent than in a hotel room. If I were commuting daily in my car, or either of your's, I'd probably feel differently. <P>If you convert the radio, be sure that you don't cut any metal or ruin any original interior pieces. You may change your mind someday! smile.gif" border="0

yea, dave you are absolutly right i will not modify my dash in any way shape or form. i have stereo speakers that i bought for the fron and back speakers. they are twin speakers that mount in the existing opening where my normal speakers (front and rear) would be. they are 3-way stereo speakers and sound great. i have a spare radio that i am considering converting to am/fm stereo, this way i would not alter my dash. i have checked on replacement radios as shown on my classic car but they use a stainless steel cover plate and i did not want that look either.<BR>as per the previous post i took his advice and checked hemmings and found alot of companys that do it and i am collecting prices right now and so far it is not cheap.<BR>i currently have a box i built that houses my stereo and a couple of whatever holders. it just unplugs and i put it my trunk, but i just thought of doing it an easier way.<BR>i don't think i will miss the warming up of the tubes and finding another station every ten miles or so though.<BR>again thanks<BR>ed<BR>58 buick century 66R<BR>60 stude wagon

Guest Skyking

Ed, go to the bottom of page 3 Topic (Custom Autosound) and read my post. It is the easiest and most inexpensive way to enjoy todays music.......

Guest sintid58

For what its worth I went to walmart and bought a 19" tool box. I mounted two 6 1/2" speakers in each side and an am/fm cassette in the lid. Then I wired it with a Cigarette lighter plug coming out the bottom. I also mounted CB on the lid and ran the wire inside so it hooks to the main power. While i was at it i put in a plug for external speakers so i can set speakers in under the seat facing the rear passengers if needed. All I have to do is set this unit on the hump between the seat and the dash plug in the power cord and the radio antenna, set the CB antenna on the roof and head to the next tour. Then when I want to show the car in about two minutes it is unhooked and I am ready to show. My wife, kids, and I took the car out for a long ride the other day and it sounds great and the am/fm works very well with no annoying antenna inside the car that doesnt get good reception. If remains to be seen if I need the rear seat spearkers when the windows are down in the summer time but that will be easy enough to add then. Also do have room to mount a couple cup holders on the lid for drinks. In My car (58 Special 4 dr sedan) the 19" tool box fits snuggly between seat and the dash, but not tight enough to damage anything. I will probably put a hook in each side of the box and run small rubber coated bunge cords under the sear to the springs to hold it in place when we go on a long trip.