Exhaust whooses on acceleration

Guest Straight eight

Guest Straight eight

I have a 1975 Le Sabre with the 455. The car has only 30,000 miles on it, and I have replaced the catalytic converter due to the whoosing noise out the tail pipe. Also replaced was everything behind the catalytic converter. The exhaust pipes were not replaced as performance is good and mileage is 16.5 mpg on the highway. Any ideas? Could the tail pipe be wound too tight causing a restriction? Could I install a Y pipe behind the converter? What about installing a dual system from the 1974 LeSabre specifications? confused.gif

Cliff, It may be that the driver is not wound too tight!! You should have mentioned the problem in GR last weekend. I have run into the problem once or twice where the exhaust pipe which is a double pipe will partially collapse and cause the sound you are hearing.

Guest Straight eight

This is true, BUT..... I think you told me that if gas mileage was that good, it couldn't be the pipe. Also didn't really notice it until I put the top down. Then of course there was the case of the Rivie that wouldn't stop charging. Ah it was just too much for one tour. Car has a vacuum gauge that reads high and responds normally, no sign of back pressure. But, if you think I need a new exhaust pipe, I'll put one on. I've known you long enuff to take you at your word. Anyone in particular you wanna reccomend, or any Midas shop?

Cliff, I wish I had listened to the car, as I hate to tell you that it is the exhaust pipe when it may be something else. The simplest solution to your problem is to turn the radio up loud enough to hide the noise. You do not drive the car hard enough to tell whether the pipe has a partial block. Does the noise seem to get louder if you floor the thing?

I'll jump in with an off-the-wall guess here. What does the end of exhaust pipe look like? Is it crimped or restricted in any way? Even and oval shape can cause an increase in the velocity of the gasses (which is what that "whoosh" is). Some pipes are made with end restrictions. Ford seems to do this a lot, and it's always interesting to hear one go by under acceleration. They downright HISS!

Maybe something as simple as trimming the end of the pipe and adding a nice, tasteful tip would do the trick.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Straight eight

I just went out and looked, and the end has a baloney slice cut on the end, the same as the original. The end is cut on an angle rather than straight down, could this be the cause?