The Final Solution

Just a final update with some information on a post I had awhile back. I had lost the power brakes on my 65 Riv after an intake swap. Got some advice from the group on different vacuum locations, and then had brakes and a decent shifting transmission again. BUT NOW, as Paul Harvey used to say, the REST of the story. I suddenly found I had a 7 cylinder car. The cylinder where the port on the intake that now supplied the vacuum for the power brake booster came off of was dead. Turns out that the booster was indeed bad, and had such a vacuum leak that this cylinder was only sucking air through the booster instead of the carburetor at idle, and partially on the road. I am sure that if I had driven it like this, I would have burned a piston for sure running lean. Now to the real reason for the post. On a trip to a local CarQuest parts store for an item for another car, I asked if by any chance they could still get a rebuilt power brake booster for a 65 Riviera. To my total amazement, they HAD ONE in a warehouse and got it to me overnight. Installed it today, and finally, for the first time in 6 months, my car is back to being its smooth running, smooth stopping self. I later checked, and BIG A auto parts can also get them. ~$90 after you exchange your core. I had put this job off for awhile, because I was so sure I was going to have to pay through the noze to have mine rebuilt. Maybe knowing they are still available can save someone else some anguish.

Yeah..its amazing that there's still some old stuff out there. A looooonnnnnggg time ago, when my '49 was still on the road, I needed some new wiper blades - the NAPA counter guy/owner didn't have anything in the books, but knew that VW wiper blades would fit.......go figure !

Just a suggestion,<BR>I always keep my core and pay a little more for these old car parts. One never knows when they will stop remanufacturing these parts. Then we will have to rely on rebuilding what we have left! Pac Rat those old parts!<P>Duane<P>P.S. I know also that if these companies don't get old cores they can't remanufacture them: oh what a delimma frown.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0