3800 SC Mass Flow Sensor Problem at Drag Strip.

Last Friday I planned to go racing. I ususally race a 1969 Buick Electra convertible but I did not have good tires on that car and my Electra GSX project car won't be ready for time trials for another month. I figured I'd get my reflexes back in tune for the beginning of the season by running my Riviera nicknamed "MouseR". She got that name when I took out a Nova a few years ago (written up in another Buick forum somewhere).

It thunder showered most of the day and the electrical storm knocked out some electronics I was working on at work tongue.gif. Well, in the evening it cleared up and I drove 75 miles to my "local" drag strip, New York International Raceway Park smirk.gif. I dont know if they are NHRA or IHRA or whatever, I just go for fun on test & tune night. 5 minutes into the trip there my power window stuck in the down position. I should have taken it as a bad omen and stayed home but I dont believe in omens. cool.gif

My car is a 1996 Buick Riviera with a supercharged 3800. It is rated at 240 HP and has run 15.53 at best. cool.gif

The track only had 90 or so vehicles and only 30 or so raced! I got 5 runs done in less than an hour! Most times I dont get that in 4 hours! shocked.gif

My first run was against some unknown Japanese buzz bomb, my R/T was 1.617 against his 1.061; my 60 foot was 2.302 against his 2.496 and my 1/8 mile was 10.250 against his 10.719. The Riviera tends to really level out power wise and just crawls out the last 1/8 mile, finished first at 15.989 against 16.686, 86.48 versus 82.67, respectively. Not too bad I thought. smirk.gif

I drove down and to the staging lanes after picking up my slip and casually lined up against a Fiero that made some wicked noise but could not stand up to the Buick. I launched with my left elbow out the window, one hand on the wheel, at 2000 rpm, just as casual as you please! My R/T 1.219, 16.061 speed 86.63 against his 16.830 at 81.78 mph.

As I turned into the return lane I noticed a Grand National pulled over to the side. The hood was up and the owner was struggling trying to get the induction hose between the intercooler and the intake manifold plenum on. You know how they can blow off sometimes. It was some kind of aftermarket inner outer hose affair that was hard to get the inner hose on and the outer hose to slide over it. It kept on buckling so you could not get the hose on. I had an '87 GN so I was familiar with the layout. This GN was not stock and had lots of polished aluminum and chrome do dads unde the hood!

shocked.gif

I suspect some kind of nitrous or water injection as the intake pipe had two injector-like things going into it. With some racers its "dont ask dont tell". I did'nt ask and he didn't tell! we got the hose on and went on our way.

I ran another race and won again, three in a row. Great, I thought what a good night after all. smirk.gif

Well then I raced this VW GTI who was running 15.318 against my 16.902! Now you get the picture, I'm running slower with each run! I drew him again the next race and lost to his 15.357 with a 16.755.

By the end of the night my R/Ts were .813 & .853 with one red light at .390. I had pulled my elbo inand raced with two hands, really getting back into the spirit of the thing. I suppose I pissed a few guys off beating them one handed while driving like I was pulling onto a highway on ramp! cool.gif

Engine light came on "Service Engine SOON" Uh Oh! I had to actually let off about 3/4 of the way down the track racing that GTI as MouseR started to burble and stumble! confused.gif I guess that's what I get for being a wiseguy, there is always some one who can take you out, no matter how empty the track is.

I limped home 75 miles cruising at 65 feeling lucky I made it home! I pulled the decrepid plugs frown.gif

with the following gaps: (Spec is .060")

Mitotoyu Digital Vernier Calipers

OLD NEW

AC AC

.0720 .0600

.0640 .0600

.0765 .0650

.0875 .0600

.0645 .0600

.0685 .0650

I spent a good houp re-gapping the plugs as they were off by up to .009 from the factory. tongue.gif I figured I could live with +.005 max. wink.gif

The local Buick dealer gave me the following codes on Monday. :Error Codes

P0102 MAF

P0300 MISFIRE

P0336 CRANKSHAFT SENSOR

This is where I need help! I suppose the mass flow sensor should be replaced by now. Although the car is more responsive with the new plugs, it still hesitates as it did at the track under high load. I pulled the Mass Air Flow sensor plug and it runs much worse althoug the same kind of hesitation. I just can't go more than 20 mph unplugged! The engine RPM really see saws too!

I'll change the MAF and we will see what happens. Ideas?

confused.gif

God Speed,

• 5 weeks later...

I replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor with a new Delco unit. The 3800 Series II really woke up. It has not given me a "torque steer" launch in 40K miles! I look forward to going back to the track and seeing if she is indeed back in the mid 15s.

We will run some diagnostics on her and download to a friend's lap top on my way to NYC this weekend. If she checks out A-OK, we'll take her to the track next weekend if the weather holds.

MJ, what track are you going to? Oh, I forgot I will be out there, July 9-10 to Potsdam, NY for Clarkson University 25th reunion, then to Owego on the 10th, be going back to MI sometime Tuesday or Wednesday, we need to make a date to rendezvous for me to see the Flint Flyer in all it's glory!! RV

Roberta,

I race at New York International Raceway Park at Mount Morris, NY. It used to be known as Empire Dragway in the old days! The track is 1.5 hrs north of Corning off 390, near Rochester, NY. Some Buicks come from nearby Rochester to join me in roasting Mustangs occasionally.

Sure, it would be great to have you visit in July! Just let me know when and I'll make sure to be around. The Electra GSX spoiler is being fabbed now and should be attached, if not functional, by the time you get here.

Best wishes,

Michael Joseph, II

Sometimes you can clean the little resister-looking thing (technical term) inside the MAF with brakekleen and achieve similar results without spending the cash. They get dirty in normal driving, but I suspect there may be more stuff in the air at the track??!! This would account for your decreased times each time. I suspect you will see a similar problem from the new one over time as it gets dirty again. A P0336 Crank sensor code probably means you have a cracked one, or it shook loose, or the crank sensor or PCM was replaced without relearning the PCM. Is the SES light on still? Try letting the engine idle until the light flashes, or if it doesn't flash, raise the idle to 3000 and hold it. The light should start to flash and then go out after 30 seconds (if you no longer have misfires).

Decembro,

I tried cleaning the MAF sensor with some alcohol and a cotton swab. This was probably a bad move for a couple of reasons however. The sensor works by heating the wire and evaluating a differential temperature as the air flows through it, if memory serves. The wire appeared to be in the form of a very very fine coil and the slightest mechanical cleaning action disturbed it from its position. Perhaps some sort of agitation or vibratory cleaner would be good. Also, there may be a question of the metal degrading at the molecular level which could also account for continued poor performance after cleaning.

In any case the errors cleared after installation of the new unit and MouseR was back to her old self again. There was another error that popped up during my run to NYC this weekend. It stayed for the trip in but was clear on the return trip. A couple of triple digit passes under load did not make it come back on again, so that is a good sign.

The buddy of mine that had the diagnostic setup could not come with me so I am still in the dark on what's really going on. For me, as perhaps with most of you, there is not substitute for actual performance under load. The racetack provides the safest means of evaluating performance. There are many good performance calculators out there and I'm sure they work okay but there is no substitute for a quarter, flying mile, etc., etc.

God speed