Question from new member

I entered my car in it's first car show this past Sunday. It was a AACA show. My car is a 1968 Beaumont SD396. The original 396 had been replaced with a 427 before I bought the car. I met one of the show judges at a cruise-in the evening before and asked what class I would be in. He was not familar with a Beaumont and wasn't sure about the class so he asked another judge. They finally decided to put me in the Special Interest class. Other vehicles in that class were a 97 Viper, a 67 Karmen Ghia, a 2002 BMW and a 2002 Ford Boss 5.4 truck. I don't feel that that was the correct class for my car. I didn't enter expecting to win anything and didn't. The truck won 1st and the Ghia won 2nd. During the judging I overheard 2 judges saying that I shouldn't have been in that class but nothing was ever done. I thought I should be in a muscle car class but was told I couldn't because the car had been modified. The 2nd place car in the muscle car class was a modified 1968 Nova. I'm not upset about not winning anything. I just wasn't very happy with they c;ass I was put in and the fact that the 2 judges that were discussing it didn't do anything or say anything to me about it. I feel that they should have at least told me what class I should have been in so I would know for future shows.

James

Guest my3buicks

James, it sounds like you attended a local AACA show. There is really no set classes for these types of shows. It is really up to the Chapter that is hosting the show. For the most part these shows are not classed and judged using the same standards as an AACA national meet. Many of these shows have a modified class that sounds like what you would be placed into. You can also drive in and do what the Nova did, just get placed in the regular production or musclecar class. Like the military - don't ask - don't tell.

It was a local show but it was put on by the local chapter of AACA. It seems to me that the local chapters would use the same guidelines as the national AACA. This was the first show that I had ever entered so I didn't know any better. I guess next time I will tell them what class I want to be in.

James

The only area I have found that the majority of local AACA chapters/regions use the AACA class in North Carolina. If you check all the AACA websites for thier shows you will find that to be true. I've checked them myself.