'71 Buick Riviera oiling problm

I seem to have a oiling system problem with the 455 engine in my Riviera that has me baffled.

I'm hoping someone can help me with some advice or a contact that is knowleable in regards to Buick 455 engines.

The problem is as follows;

When I purchased the car I noticed that as the engnine warmed up the oil pressure would drop off at idle (the warning light would come on) and the lifters would start to clatter. I knew that a weak oil pump was a common problem in these motors and I was sure that repairing it would solve the problem.

I have replaced the gear set in the oil pump along with a spacer / end plate and the engine oil light does not come on anymore even with the engine hot.

(I seem to have about 7 lbs of oil pressure at idle with the engine hot)

The problem was that I still had lifter clatter when the engine warmed up.

I had to replace the valve cover gaskets so while they were off I ran the engine to see what was happening with the valve train and oil system. What I found was that on the left (drivers side) engine valve bank oil was feeding up through the pushrods quite strongly and oil was literaly pouring out the ends of the rocker shaft.

On the right (passenger side) engine valve bank there was very little oil feeding up through the pushrods and no oil coming out the ends of the rocker shaft. Suspecting that maybe the rocker shafts were not supposed to be open on the ends I capped the left side shaft to see if oil flow increased on the right side, but there was no difference.

My questions are;

1.- Are the rocker shafts supposed to be open on the ends or should they be plugged?

(I tried to find out locally but I get opposing opinions)

2.- What could be the cause of the difference in oil flow between the right and left valve banks?

Do I have too much going to the left side or not enough going to the right side?

I suspect maybe a spun cam bearing but would like some confirmation.

Any information in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Nope, you're not suppose to have oil coming out of the ends of the rocker shaft on the 70 and up 455's. The ends are open on the 70 and up 455's. They should look like the middle assembly if they are factory stock. Is this what you have? (NOTE: the middle assembly should have those nylon retaining buttons that are shown in the top assembly.)

Rocker_Arm_Assemblies_p27.jpg

[color:\\"blue\\"]Could this have something to do with the problem:

Question:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"I have a 455 and would like to use `69 and earlier 430 (400) heads, what do I need to do?" </div></div>

[color:\\"blue\\"]Answer:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 455 engines oiled the rocker assemblies through the pushrods, where as the `69 and earlier heads oiled the rockers by use of passages through the block and into the heads eventually entering a hollow rocker shaft and weeping into the rockers through passages. The 455 engines only have the oil passage on the drivers side (LH), so oiling the rockers MUST be done through the pushrods. The oil passage on the driver's side of the 455 block must be tapped and plugged with a flush pipe plug, no modifications are necessary for the heads. If using 455 rocker assemblies, use the 455 lifters and pushrods. If using the 430 (400) rockers use the 455 lifters and hybrid pushrods that incorporate the 455 ball end at the lifter end and a 430 (400) ball end on the rocker end. Do NOT use 455 pushrods with the 430 (400) rockers, the ball end is too small and will wear and eventually break through the rocker pushrod cup.

</div></div>

[color:\\"blue\\"]From the TA Board . . . . Just a random thought

T A Performance FAQ

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my late return reply. I have been on holidays fishing for the past two weeks.

In reply to your post If I remember correctly the rockers on my 455 look like the ones on the top of the picture and they do have the plastic buttons.

Ductape

Thanks for the reply. This does sound like a possibility. I wonder if I could just plug the gallery in the head where it comes up through the front rocker tube bolt hole / saddle area?

Ductape