Michigan Auto Insurance RipOff

Guest 70 Electra

Guest 70 Electra

I know there are a lot of you located in Michigan. <P>Please take a minute to read my posting in the AACA's "Legislation" section of the Collectible Auto Discussion Forum. <P>The posting addresses the rip-off of paying an additional $60 per year for EACH of your collector cars that are insured.

Well, Greg, I guess I shouldn't pissandmoan any more about the add'l 4 bucks Virginia is adding onto the yearly registration fee. It's earmarked for local volunteer rescue squads which I have no problem with, but there's already a buck-fifty added every year for that. When they tacked on the original surcharge, donations to the squads went down, so now they want to up it again to make up for that.<P>We are fortunate that Virginia is a very old car-friendly state. At 25 years old, cars can be registered as antique, with choice of "antique" or year of manufacture plates. All for a one time fee of $10, good as long as car is titled in your name. Antique registration exempts the car from annual safety inspections, emissions testing and local tax and license fees. There are usage restrictions, but last year a provision was added to allow driving the car up to 250 miles from your residence strictly for pleasure use, in addition to the usual shows, parades, club functions and test and repair allowances.<P>Friends across the border in NC don't have it near so good. One of our Olds Club dealer sponsors is an NC State Representative and is on the House Transportation Committee. He's been trying to pass legislation similar to Virginia's for old car licensing, but someone in Raleigh DOT is bucking it hard.<P>Glenn Williamson<BR>the Rocketraider

Guest COMPACTBC

I think this the one time that California got it right for a change. Most antique/classic cars can be registered like any other car on the road for about $40.00 a year and there are NO DRIVING RESTRICTIONS AT ALL. Even if you elect to use Y.O.M. or Antique plates you can still use your car anyway you want, classic car insurance not with standing. rolleyes.gif" border="0

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 70 Electra

Thanks to another AACA member, I have learned that there has ALREADY been legislation introduced to seek an exemption of the MCCA surcharge for collector vehicles.<BR>Michigan House of Representatives Bill HR4007 was introduced by Rep. Ron Jelenik ®.<P>I strongly urge ALL Michigan collectors to contact their appropriate representatives and demand that they support this bill. Otherwise, it may not be passed.<P>For more information (for you or your representative), the Hagerty insurance site has a nice concise postion statement that successfully argues why classic cars should be exempt from MCCA. The direct link is <A HREF="http://www.hagerty.com/Press/MCCAposition.asp" TARGET=_blank>http://www.hagerty.com/Press/MCCAposition.asp</A>