12V converstion for 1940 Lincoln Zephyr sedan

Guest flathead_jr

Guest flathead_jr

I am just trying to get some information on a 12v converstion of a Lincoln Zephyr. Everything is pretty much set up like the Ford V8's, but I am not sure on what to do for the ignition, or the gauges. The ignition has the nearly the same type of diving helmet type ignition, only with 2 of everything. There are 2 drop resistors that drop voltage from 6 to 4 for the coils. I need to know what to do here as to maintain the original coil, but drop the voltage so it don't get fried. And any basic ideas as what to do for the gauges would be helpful. E-mail me at jryan@onewest.net, thanks......Ryan

Hi Ryan,

The gauges are no problem. What you need is the little "voltage regulator" that Ford used on all their 12 volt cars from 1956 through the late '60s at least. Best source would probably be a wrecking yard or a Mustang parts dealer. When Ford went to 12 volts in 1956, they continued to use the same old 6 volt bi-metallic gauges for many years by merely inserting this gizmo in series with the gauges.

I can't advise you on the ignition change, but I'm sure somebody out there can help you out.

Guest imported_MikeWilliamsUK

Ryan,

If your ignition coils are suspect FordsRus can rewind them for 12 volt. Had mine done but not used it yet. If you want to keep the old coils I've no idea and I was advised not to do it.

Mike