Oil ?

55PACKARD

I wanted to know if anyone tried using 30 weight non-detergent oil before..I heard it doesnt foam as bad as regular motor oil so i was wondering if it would help the lifter noise i get when running on the highway,Its weird i can drive the car all day around town and not a peep out of it do i get,but as soon as i bring the rpm's above 2500 or so the lifters begin to make noise. I changed the stock lifters out to the small block chrysler type it seems alot better but thats why i asked if the 30 weight N/D oil would help the foaming problem????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would tell u if you have a restriction in the filter causing a reduced oil flow to the lifters. </div></div>

An inspection of the oil flow diagram in the Service Manual would show that this is not true. The oil filter on the V-8 is at the "end of the line" [color:"red"] AFTER the lifter galleries. Therefore, a "restricted" filter would actually help the oil pressure to the lifters.

I believe that PackardV8's suggestion to "DISable" the filter is intended to get more total oil flow to the lifters by eliminating a "leak" at the terminal end of the oil galleries. [color:"red"] However, I don't subscribe to this technique for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that dirty oil is "bad" and bypassing the filter doesn't filter the dirty oil.

BTW, a noisy hydraulic lifter is not necessarily a really "bad thing", in the sense that it only means that the lifter plus valve train components have some extra clearance at valve open event. This noise is the taking up of this clearance, which the hydraulic lifter was meant to eliminate in the first place. Unless a hydraulic lifter is not functional, nothing bad will come of this noise -- as opposed to other "clacks", etc from the engine would would be [color:"red"] BAD.

Thanks i tried putting in the chrysler lifters and at normal driving speeds the car is perfect but at highway speed 55 - 65 i get a few lifters that are making noise im talking probably 1 or 2 when i come off the highway it clacks for awhile until i guess it pumps back up. My question is if i disable the filter will this maybe help,also how do i disable any pictures or suggestions on how to do this.I also just changed the oil to try to stop this i put in 5 1/2 quarts of 30 weight non-detergent oil that didnt help...I read some post from last year about maybe using diesel motor oil or mercedes oil that might help the foaming problem did anyone try this?????

Another possibility which would create lifter "clack" is worn rocker arm tips like I had on my 1956 Clipper 352 engine:

RockerArmWornTip.jpg

The worn tips would create extra clearance in the valve train. This MIGHT create a situation where a few lifters were running almost fully extended, not in the middle where they're supposed to be. then, under somewhat lower oil pressure, these lifters can't take up the valve train clearance quick enough. This would cause the clicking you're hearing.

The "bolt-on" solution to this problem is longer pushrods. If memory serves (it usually doesn't these days), the 1956 pushrods are 0.060IN longer than the 1955 pushrods. Some aftermarket cam manufacturers will make up custom length pushrods.

Packard-buddy Paul in Las Vegas is using adjustable pushrods and mechanical lifters in his 1956 Exec and has been doing so since the 1970s. This is another solution, i.e. running mechanical lifters on a hydraulic cam with about 0.010IN clearance.

If I were you, I wouldn't implement any of the above solutions because they're a lot of effort and maybe $$$. Instead, I'd just ignore the clack.

How hard is it to put mechanical lifters in? And does this slove the lifter clacking noise thats common on the Packard's. If i would like to atempt this were would i go about finding out the lifter part number and pushrod part numbers, what else would have to be done to do this????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How hard is it to put mechanical lifters in? And does this slove the lifter clacking noise thats common on the Packard's. (snip)</div></div>

Same effort as hydraulic lifters, except that you have to adjust each pushrod to the length required for the proper clearance (~0.010in). That part is a PITA.

The result would be a bunch of barely a audible clicks all the time instead of a few loud clacks sometimes.

Like I posted above, I wouldn't bother.