Weak Brakes on 69 Delta 88

When pressing down on my break peddle of my 69 Delta 88 it feels very mushy. I am trying to diagnose my problem and my first thought is low break fluid. In my master cylinder there is what looks to be a black rubber gasket with wells in it. Does the break fluid go in these wells, or do I remove the rubber and check/fill the fluid? Anything else I should check? I see no leaks at the master cylinder or at the breaks.

Take the rubber seal off to check the fluid. My guess is either the fluid is low or you've got leaking wheel cylinders. Possibly also weak rubber hoses.

For a car as heavy as a Delta, good brakes are critical. If you plan to drive and enjoy the car, money spent on the braking system is money well spent. You can get all the parts except hard steel lines or drums at NAPA or CarQuest.

Guest copper128

If your brake system isn't in good shape you may want to consider converting to disc brakes if you don't already have them. Stainless Steel Brakes Corp. makes a complete front disc conversion kit for 65-70 full-size Olds models. It lists for around $600, but Summit Racing sells it for under $500. That's money well spent in my opinion.